Police targeting of shoot vehicles

Blunderbuss

Think the rules have changed since then, as every reference to the legal limits say that anyone who blows under 40 at the station will be free to go.

I got pulled for a headlight out/fog light on (I thought it was a good idea at the time) after I had 2 pints and a double vodka redbull over the course of about 6 hours, with about 3 pints of coke in between. Blew orange on the machine, **** myself and haven't done it since! :blink:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've re -read this and it seems sensationalist and shocking so- my apologies - its still a valid comment I think.

When I was student, as part of the course, we were given the opportunity to view the effects and consequences of collisions.

This lecture was to ensure we knew how to design out collision and severity factors, positioning of lamp columns, the positioning and means of ending barriers, pedestrian visibility through parking controls and a million other things. You were allowed to leave the lecture on collision consequences, but few did.

We left with a full understanding of what street furniture does to a human body which collides with it. The most horrific images were from the US, collected by the American Association of State Highways Officials.

There were very many bodies, some cut in half, heads removed, both legs cut off above the knee and the single biggest cause of these casualties wasnt design related, it was drink related.

As all police and fire officers know, picking up the bits is shocking - a de-humanised corpse with bodyparts missing or a dead, decapitated child.

I wanted to show this full horror in a road safety campaign but it was said to be too shocking.

Imagine you kill a child through drink driving.

Imagine the metal slcing through flesh and bone, crushing limbs to a bloody pulp.

Imagine YOU DO THIS, then tell me drink driving is OK, at any level.

Its all out there, these are real people we kill ever year, nearly 4000 of them, a proportion relate to drink and more to drugs

Grow up and become a responsible adult instead of a selfish, self focussed, pleasure seeker, all you drink drivers.

With the respect we shooters have for our quarry, you would think we would have something similar for our fellow humans, ensuring we, at least, were always in control.

Best post on this thread by far !!!!!!

Happy pig u say no one under 40 mg gets prosecuted. A friend of mine was banned for a year for blowing 37 mg so that's not true. The limit is 35 if your over you get banned. Simples

I can assure you my friend nobody under 40mg is prosecuted end of you mate has clearly lied to u I would say have a read of the answer to this question in the link below to see WHAT HAPPENS IF MY READING IS CLOSE TO THE DRINK DRIVING LIMIT?

http://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_laws.php

A friend who is a GP explained the body and alcohol as follows.

" On average, the body will metabalise 1 unit of alcohol an hour. 1 unit is half a pint of normal beer or lager or a small glass of wine. If it's a stronger brew or a larger glass, assuem 2 units.

The problem is the body does not do this in a linear manner. It may do nothing for 2 hours then do 2 or even 1 unit. Food, phyiscal build and metabolic rate all affects the rate as well".

Just don't risk it"

Edited by keg

I can assure you my friend nobody under 40mg is prosecuted end of you mate has clearly lied to u I would say have a read of the answer to this question in the link below to see WHAT HAPPENS IF MY READING IS CLOSE TO THE DRINK DRIVING LIMIT?

http://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_laws.php

Unfortunately You are very much mistaken if that is what you think. I was convicted and prosocuted for dd after I blew 36mg, yes 1 point over the limit and I was prosocuted and banned for 9 months as I did the dd awarness course. At this course the bloke who was running it had to appologise to me as he said the same thing no one under 40 gets banned that was until he checked my records and appologised infront of the whole group. I was the first person he knew of that had ever been banned for 1 point over. I was pulled up the day after a wedding with alcohol still in my system there was no excuse and I have paid for it ever since. So a word of warning dont believe all you read on the internet.

If the lower of the two breath readings at the station is equal to or below 39 µg/100 ml breath, then you should be released either without charge or with a caution.

Read the word in red it doesnt say WILL and shouldnt say WILL.

Edited by Luckyshot

Beating today and for a change we shot through and had lunch in the field between drives. We normally go back to the farm and sit down. We mixed it with the guns and it was quite a boozy do. Sloe gin, ginger wine, Kings Ginger, whisky macs and cans of beer etc. I was driving so only had one very small ginger wine, as did most of the other beaters apart from one or two who lived locally and could walk.

It was very tempting as it was freezing cold and the craic was good, but I value my driving licence too much. But I was amazed to watch some of the guns, all of whom were driving, chucking it back like there was no tomorrow! One of the other beaters told me that the local cops were deliberately targeting muddy land rovers full of tweedy blokes on Saturdays at this time of year, for D&D stops. They'd have had a field day with this lot today! Anyone else heard of the police targeting shoot vehicles for breath tests?

In my eyes they deserve to be caught we are responsible people who own shotguns ,and drinking. Shooting and driving does not mix

You quoted my OP and went into lecture mode. By "you", I really hope you don't mean me? I opened this thread to prompt discussion. It has a been thought provoking and civilised one, but your post feels a little too personal. I hope I've misread your meaning and that's not what you intended. For the record, I am not for one second condoning drink driving, nor am I suggesting shooters are being singled out or victimised, I fully support ANYONE caught over the limit getting hammered. I was merely reporting what I saw and what I heard. Wag your finger by all means, but not at me.

No, I was most certainly not targeting you - you opened a very sensible post and I agree 100% with what you said - a small glass of ginger wine or whatever during a shoot is NOT being irresponsible.

The only thing that I "disagreed" with - if that is the right word was your query/remark about the deliberate targeting by police of those that look like "shooting types". It cropped up last year and was denied. I have a lot of friends who shoot in the deep south weat and they have never had problems with random spot-checks. Someone on this thread has commented on a shoot in Devon that feels that it is being targeted - well, there may or may not be a reason for it. There used to be a shoot in Northern Ireland, where guns did drink too much. Fortunately for most of us, the economic climate has curtailed that activity for some of the guns and the remainder have wised up and grown up. I shot with them once and it was not an experience I would want to repeat!

So once again, you are not having any of my fingers wagging at you and I don't really see what gave you cause for concern...... However, one or two of the comments from others are worrying and they have been - rightly - condemned by others.

No, I was most certainly not targeting you - you opened a very sensible post and I agree 100% with what you said - a small glass of ginger wine or whatever during a shoot is NOT being irresponsible.

The only thing that I "disagreed" with - if that is the right word was your query/remark about the deliberate targeting by police of those that look like "shooting types". It cropped up last year and was denied. I have a lot of friends who shoot in the deep south weat and they have never had problems with random spot-checks. Someone on this thread has commented on a shoot in Devon that feels that it is being targeted - well, there may or may not be a reason for it. There used to be a shoot in Northern Ireland, where guns did drink too much. Fortunately for most of us, the economic climate has curtailed that activity for some of the guns and the remainder have wised up and grown up. I shot with them once and it was not an experience I would want to repeat!

So once again, you are not having any of my fingers wagging at you and I don't really see what gave you cause for concern...... However, one or two of the comments from others are worrying and they have been - rightly - condemned by others.

Thanks for the clarification :good: I was asking a question, not stating a fact. I was merely saying that I had been TOLD that this was happening by a fellow beater and was asking others on here if they knew that to be the case or not. I've genuinely no idea if it is or isn't, and if it is, then I would support it. I think from your response you must have read it (incorrectly) as me somehow how STATING that this WAS happening, and perhaps being somehow aggrieved about it :no: ?

Having said that, I note you live in NI, and perhaps have some insight into PSNI policy on this, hence your comment about it being "denied"? As you know, unlike your part of the UK which has a single police force, England and Wales has 43 and Scotland 8, each setting their own policing priorities according to budgets, local priorities and numerous other factors. So I'm not sure how anyone other than the 51 chief constables can state with such certainty that their own forces don't do this. No big deal, it was a question posed out of idle curiosity more than anything and as I say, if they do I'm cool with it :yes:

Apologies for my slightly curt response, but your reply did feel a little preachy and finger pointy (until your clarification). I felt that you'd misunderstood my point and that I was somehow complaining about perceived police victimisation or defending drink driving, neither of which is the case. I can see after your clarification post that I'd perhaps misunderstood your meaning, and maybe you mine.....

That's the trouble with internet communication sometimes, it's easy to miss the subtle body language and intonation that we take for granted in verbal communication and which avoids such misunderstanding.

Happy Christmas, safe shooting (and driving).

Edited by Blunderbuss

Thanks for the clarification :good: I was asking a question, not stating a fact. I was merely saying that I had been TOLD that this was happening by a fellow beater and was asking others on here if they knew that to be the case or not. I've genuinely no idea if it is or isn't, and if it is, then I would support it. I think from your response you must have read it (incorrectly) as me somehow how STATING that this WAS happening, and perhaps being somehow aggrieved about it :no: ?

Having said that, I note you live in NI, and perhaps have some insight into PSNI policy on this, hence your comment about it being "denied"? As you know, unlike your part of the UK which has a single police force, England and Wales has 43 and Scotland 8, each setting their own policing priorities according to budgets, local priorities and numerous other factors. So I'm not sure how anyone other than the 51 chief constables can state with such certainty that their own forces don't do this. No big deal, it was a question posed out of idle curiosity more than anything and as I say, if they do I'm cool with it :yes:

Apologies for my slightly curt response, but your reply did feel a little preachy and finger pointy (until your clarification). I felt that you'd misunderstood my point and that I was somehow complaining about perceived police victimisation or defending drink driving, neither of which is the case. I can see after your clarification post that I'd perhaps misunderstood your meaning, and maybe you mine.....

That's the trouble with internet communication sometimes, it's easy to miss the subtle body language and intonation that we take for granted in verbal communication and which avoids such misunderstanding.

Happy Christmas, safe shooting (and driving).

Many thanks - all is well - just looked at my initial reply again - several points were about drink, driving AND firearms - you were beating and not shooting and so I had hoped you would not have taken it personally.... It was a good OP on your part.

Yes, you are absolutely right in that we only have PSNI here and I think that is a good thing. I cannot believe that 51 forces in GB makes for efficient, unified policing and many senior police officers although not all would agree..... However, individual police authorities like the status that county or regional forces give but when you see how Thames Valley, for example, operate and the expertise that they can tap into, you can appreciate that scale is important. Whilst not wishing to criticise in any way, I feel that both Cumbria and Northumberland forces struggled initially to cope with the tragic firearms incidents last year.

I am not - by the way - connected with any police force, just happen to know quite a few of the top guys for one reason or another.However, I am drifting into a wholly different topic about the police service in a country other than mine and that is probably not a good thing.

A VERY happy new year to you, good shooting and beating - I no longer do the latter [too decrepit] but do still pick-up a bit

i was pulled yesterday morning on my way to the hunt meet, quad bike on the trailer, terriers and my .410 in the footwell. The first thing the copper did was lean in the window and had a good sniff. i knew i hadnt had a drink on xmas day so i blew a zero. The same copper pulled me on the way home and breath tested me again, he was sitting beside a well know drink-drivers pub, id had a nip or 2 when i was hunting and i told him that. again i blew a zero. He said that they are having a purge on shooting/hunting vehicles travelling early or late so there must be some truth in it. I cant belive some peoiple would risk there job/license/hobbies for the price of a taxi.

i was pulled yesterday morning on my way to the hunt meet, quad bike on the trailer, terriers and my .410 in the footwell. The first thing the copper did was lean in the window and had a good sniff. i knew i hadnt had a drink on xmas day so i blew a zero. The same copper pulled me on the way home and breath tested me again, he was sitting beside a well know drink-drivers pub, id had a nip or 2 when i was hunting and i told him that. again i blew a zero. He said that they are having a purge on shooting/hunting vehicles travelling early or late so there must be some truth in it. I cant belive some peoiple would risk there job/license/hobbies for the price of a taxi.

It really does make you wonder doesn't it, and also in many cases there relationships as I can assure you my woman would leave me in a heartbeat as I would her absolutely no need for it what so ever

I cannot accept and condone Being in control (as being in charge is seen as a different matter)

Of anything along the lines of Vehicles Or firearms whilst choosing to become intoxicated be it with-in the legal limit

Or not As far as I am concerned you want to drink the firearms and cars are left well alone.

Thankfully my days of drinking are well and truly behind me, I have seen what drinking has done to people

Decided I didn't want that road.