Countryfile 11/12/11

Boromir

Did anyone watch it?

The bit where they are targeting wildcamping and Anti-social behaviour? Kinda ****** me off that they banned all camping on the East shore cause all they have done was move the problem to where I work on the West shore. I have had to pick up hundreds of bags of rubbish this year on the West shore of the Loch and there is now no Capparcaillie to be seen on the Islands cause people and there dogs run riot, there is Still Wallabies on Inchconnachan at the moment seen 5 in one day about 2 months ago. The house on this island has been destroyed by campers and fisherman for firewood, luckily its going to be rebuilt with somebody living there permanent.

Also it made out that the National Park are doing a great job, well thats far from the truth, they dont listen to any of the residents and are happy to make shops in some areas shut down because they think they can get more money for leasing it out to a company. They also built there headquarters outside of the National park and the amount of money they seem to waste is immense.

Apart from that the Loch is a beautiful place, each Island is different and I cant wait to finish off spraying the bracken on Inchlonaig next year,its taken three years so far by Knapsack spraying and having your lunch break while looking out to the Loch in peace and quiet is something special.

If you ever visit the Islands on the Loch we dont mind you being there but please take your rubbish away with you, leave the wildlife alone and bury your Michael Knights, as I dont like stepping on them when out spraying bracken.

P.s Beware the Midges.

I watched it and to be honest i fished it years ago and always thought of it as a peaceful place to get away and to be honest i keep thinking about going back up ther, but watching the prog the other week gave me the impression that i may be taking the kids to not a good spot, especialy when they mentioned drug abuse, murder etc

I have no idea what spot i went to but i think the lodges were close by, and we went Mackeral fishing in the winter as we had to crack the ice to lower the lines from the boat, excellent memories of a couple of weekends fishing up there

I haven't watched the program but my wife and I went wild camping in the West Highlands this summer. We came home past Loch Lomond.

I know what you're saying. We found plenty of stopping places that were clean and unspoilt but there was a few that made me want to cry. Apart from the Lemon Curds the worst thing seemed to be disposable BBQ's. I think a lot of people have misunderstood the concept of disposable.

All kinds of junk in some places, even a wheelbarrow.

Our watchword is that we leave a place as if we'd never been there. There's often a fire pit at the most popular places and that saves the grass getting plastered with fireplaces.

The one thing that we valued above all in Scotland was that we could stop pretty much where we liked. There's vast areas of England where overnight stopping is not allowed now so I hope that the idiot campers come to realise that it's not just the countryside that they're crapping on. Sadly, I doubt it. :no:

:lol:

....Richard the Third, Pony 'n Trap, Barry White, Brad Pitt.

I saw the end of the program, I didn't realise that at it's deepest 605ft (?) Loch Lomond is as deep as the North Sea !!

Oh yes deepest at the north end of the Loch, they say that the loch is as deep as Ben Lomond is high and that it shelves underneath the land a bit.

I watched it and to be honest i fished it years ago and always thought of it as a peaceful place to get away and to be honest i keep thinking about going back up ther, but watching the prog the other week gave me the impression that i may be taking the kids to not a good spot, especialy when they mentioned drug abuse, murder etc

I have no idea what spot i went to but i think the lodges were close by, and we went Mackeral fishing in the winter as we had to crack the ice to lower the lines from the boat, excellent memories of a couple of weekends fishing up there

That must be Loch Long you were on nice drive round that road go further down you sometimes see the Subs coming into Faslane. Did you stay next to Loch Lomond in a Lodge if so was it Inverbeg Holiday park or the one in Arrochar?

I never heard anything about an attempted murder up here recently but there is a lot of the drug taking at these camping parties that happen on the Islands as they there not being watched. Best times to visit during the summer is not the weekends, this is when all the Neds come out to party and spend the Giro on Drink and drugs.

I saw it and it's an issue everywhere, but stunning country side and location

I haven't watched the program but my wife and I went wild camping in the West Highlands this summer. We came home past Loch Lomond.

I know what you're saying. We found plenty of stopping places that were clean and unspoilt but there was a few that made me want to cry. Apart from the Lemon Curds the worst thing seemed to be disposable BBQ's. I think a lot of people have misunderstood the concept of disposable.

All kinds of junk in some places, even a wheelbarrow.

Our watchword is that we leave a place as if we'd never been there. There's often a fire pit at the most popular places and that saves the grass getting plastered with fireplaces.

The one thing that we valued above all in Scotland was that we could stop pretty much where we liked. There's vast areas of England where overnight stopping is not allowed now so I hope that the idiot campers come to realise that it's not just the countryside that they're crapping on. Sadly, I doubt it. :no:

Dont get me started on those Disposable BBQ's awkward things as the grill on them rips up the binbags. And I dont know what they cut up the tree's with but they cut them at shoulder height and make the place look like a tip. Mattress's, quilts, foldaway chairs, tents, table's, kitchen knives, cd players, fishing rods everything even a one seater sofa.

We would provide bins but we'll know they get set on fire so there's no point. We even placed a 1 ton+ boulder at an entrance to one of the shores to stop people taking cars in and they managed to move that out of the way. They seem to think if they also chuck the cans and bottles into the bushes that they magically disapeer's.

About 20 years ago I spent almost every weekend on the east cost of Loch Lomond and had a fantastic time, it is not like that now.

Too much human debris around with no respect for themselves, anyone else or the environment they are in; IMO the by-laws put in place are unhelpful to those who want to use the loch with respect, but they are a necessary evil with the way the place is now.

I live close by but rarely go there, there are much nicer places to go offering the same experience but I'm not telling you where they are or they'll end up the same :P

HI deff Loch Lomond, well so i was told..i actually stayed with this guys family in glasgow, it was my first experience of going to a building all boarded up with metal shutters to discover it was a pub...I never seen anything like it before plus there seem to be a few friendly women walking about :lol: