tikka t3 not ejecting

the shooter

hi my brother just called me up to see if i had any ideas on his tikka t3 22-250 lite.

he shot a fox last night but on pulling back the bolt the brass did not follow.

he removed it with the cleaning rod from the other end, checked it, cleaned it and tried again.

another jam and its the same with home loads and factory.

any ideas please.

and yes he did get the fox lol.

hi my brother just called me up to see if i had any ideas on his tikka t3 22-250 lite.

he shot a fox last night but on pulling back the bolt the brass did not follow.

he removed it with the cleaning rod from the other end, checked it, cleaned it and tried again.

another jam and its the same with home loads and factory.

any ideas please.

and yes he did get the fox lol.

Broken, jammed or missing extractor claw?

just had a look at mine, there's a spring loaded claw on the bolt, check if it's still there/ or under tension.

May just want stripped & cleaned.

:yes::good::yes::good:

Cleaning is a good starting point, as is wear on the claw!

And strange as it may seem the spring on my .223 bolt claw was too strong and causing the same problem, took it to Neil Mckillop, who diagnosed and replaced the spring, it works a treat now, funny old world!

The brass is jambing? sounds like there might possibly be pressure issues- if the guns done a lot this can be signs of a new barrel being required or wet ammo being loaded as you say they are factory rounds. Its not totally unknown for higher pressure factory rounds to be made in error but unlikely.

Its hard to get my head round your actuall description though, failure to eject is one thing failure to work the bolt another normally. The cleaning must include the bolt lug recesses, chamber etc. and have a look see to check there isn't corrosion in the chamber walls

Check for (as others have indicated);

Rust ring in the chamber/throat.

Rust in/around extractor claw and spring and while your at it check the plunger for free travel on the bolt face.

Lots of folk use there guns without any care and atention until it fails or is to late. I do hope this is not one of these moments :good:

U.