fox scope for £600

Archie-fox

the S&B is the best scope ive ever had but i just need a bit more mag...its just a personal choice but its what i need..

im thinking of a zeiss 3-9x50...any views on this modle ??

rich.

Hi,

Read my earlier post, i have a Zeiss 3-12x50 duralyt. £600 or just under that if you shop about. I personally think its very good quality for the money,as you would expect from Zeiss. I have owned a S&B on a previous rifle some years ago and theres no denying they are fantastic scopes.

Like Dekers said though scopes are a very personal thing and a lot of folk will defend their own to the hilt.

The only way is to have a look mate and see what you think :yes: . But if you're in the market for a scope around £600 i would recommend you have a look at the 3-12x50 duralyt.

When i was looking for glass for my 243 £600 was my budget and i looked at the S&B 8x56 hungarian and the Duralyt and the Zeiss won it for me simply because its variable magnification :good:, not that theres owt wrong with fixed focus i just wanted the option of having higher mag if i needed it.

Good luck with your choice though

ATB,

Pat

I, like many others on here have moved on from fixed magnification x7 or x8 optics to variable offerings for foxing work.

Trying to shoot a fox laying flat at 200 yards under a lamp in a field of OSR with only x7 or x8 can be somewhat of a challenge, and you will find a lower powered scope lacking.

I'd suggest to the OP to try both sides of the coin, before parting with his cash - but for me, I won't ever go back to fixed mag on my foxing setup.

There are occasions when more mag is handy agreed and I also would not wish to go back to fixed power except maybe for a lightweight dedicated stalking scope. If a fox is laying flat in OSR then you have, A, a possable ID issue and B. the fact that the bullet will very likely hit a bit of OSR before it arrives at charlies front door. It then breaks up ( unless its a match bullet) and you think "how the hell did I miss that".

A

Andy 'camokid' on here uses a Nikko Sterling Nighteater scope on his .223.He'll admittedly say it maybe is not the best scope in the world but it's good clear glass and definately good enough,and he has excellent results with the Nighteater!

I think Andy has got the 6-24x56 model.

Edited by bullet boy

Andy 'camokid' on here uses a Nikko Sterling Nighteater scope on his .223.He'll admittedly say it maybe is not the best scope in the world but it's good clear glass and definately good enough,and he has excellent results with the Nighteater!

I think Andy has got the 6-24x56 model.

have to agree mate its not the best scope in the world but IT IS FOR ME!!!

i cant fault the nikko nighteater range if i where shooting 500+ yards comp style then i might be buying a scope suitable for that but to shoot a target as big as a fox at 100 yards in my eyes there is just no need to lob a grand to do that when most of my foxes are well within 100 yards.

a 8x fixed mag is just far to much hard work to zero with my eyes lol

iv just got in and another fell to the nighteater

5zickg.jpg

Hi Rich I had the same dilema,I had a S+B 8x56 on my Browning A Bolt and then switched to a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 and couldn't fault it,finer ret than the Schmidt,more mag, same light gathering capabilities and just as good if not better glass,needed some cash so I sold it big mistake,but now I'm using wait for it.....a Hawke Endurance 30 3-12x50 with the L4 illuminated dot(£269 brand new 10 year warranty)I got it 2nd hand as new for £140 and to be honest I'm over the moon with it,dont confuse these with the cheapie chinese hawkes these are made in Japan and have to say I can't tell the difference between this and the Zeiss and Schmidt in terms of glass clarity and light gathering,so if your not a name snob have a look through one of these,if the others are better they are definitly not £4-£500 better.

Jase.