32g 4 rc sipe for high pheasants?

Bit overkill really

Italian shot sizes are bigger so 4 is english 3.5

Youd be better off with 5's, 32g of no 6 will deal with most high birds just to pop it into perspective

Sipes are cracking carts so stick with them :good:

Edited by M.I.A

Have a slab of these carts and hava a days pheasant shooting in couple of weeks.

Does anyone rate them for high pheasants?

I haven't used them myself but a lot of people I know swear by them. They also get good reviews.

32g 4's will be perfectly good enough for high January pheasants.

Edited by ColinF

4's are a bit big but they'll do

But a 28 g 6 is big enough for most and a 32 g 3 will kill the highest of birds

I've shot the highest high pheasant clay at hodnett shooting ground with a 21 g 7.5 So don't think a smal cart won't get out there but the big shot size will help with the hitting power at range for high game birds...

I think I'm trying to say. They will be ok but they aren't neccessary you'll just be making sure.

I'd like the 5`s for the semi auto for an all rounder. I do have a couple of boxes of 32g 6 vip game I could use. As I cant use the 4`s in my semi as they are 67mm I thought i`d get rid of a few at the pheasants. Only got the 4`s because Coley`s had no 5`s at the time.

They may have an open pattern at distance check patterns with your chokes as some one said English 3.5 so less pellets than 4s . I would prefer 36 g 4 good stopping power and enough pellets to fill the pattern.Sipes are good carts and 32g shouldn't punish you with recoil too much. Your chosen load would be like a 28 bore shooting 5s for pellets in the load and plenty use them.Hope you enjoy your day.

ATB figgy

Have just ordered a teague full choke so have a bit more choice now. Will be shooting at

Symonds Hall Farm, Wotton under Edge, Gloucestershire. Greys. Down in the valley below the farm.

I don't know that one, but there are some very good shoots around that area. I have been lucky enough to shoot a few in recent years Salperton, Shipton Down, Coombe End Manor, Stanway etc

If your shooting really high stuff down in Devon, north yorks, Wales etc then 4s 5s are what you want to do the job, and agood bit of choke.

Might want to check if they are ok with a semi though, I suspect the vast majority are not.

I only use the semi for pigeon and rabbit.

Sipe is a good cartridge no doubt, I swopped a few a couple of years ago and they worked well.

At what sort of distance is an average bird on this shoot?. 36gr of 4s or 3s through full choke is really a 50 yard load. anything hit with it at say 25 yards wont be worth cooking !!. The average pheasant is shot at more like 20 yards. I have some of the highest birds in the county, teamed with widely spaced pegs most are shot at 30 yards plus, some 40 and a few 50. I use 30gr of 5s felt wadded. The only time I use heavier loads is for an occasional fox in a drive and for flighted geese, then I am 36gr Remmy Hevishot in 4s.

If you are over 50 yards as the norm then carry on, if not then consider something a bit lighter.

A

Relax. Italian 3's and 4's are the same as English 4's. It's their size 5's, 6's and 7's that dont fall in line with English sizes. For genuinely high birds 4's are what you want.Just tighten up your choke accordingly. Here in North Yorks I personaly use Sipe 5's and find them devastating on 50 - 55 yard birds. I use briely IM and LF chokes and feel confident in there performance at that range. JK6's are fantastic but expensive and obviously kick a bit more. I can't say they perform so much better than sipes that they are worth going for unless you only shoot a handfull of days. I'd very much recommend you try your sipe 4's though M and IM or tighter and I'm sure you'll soon have utter faith in them. As for comments about 28gram 6's breaking clays etc... A 55 yard pheasant with plenty of fat stored for the winter is a very different target to a brittle piece of bitumen thrown from a 120 foot trap. They deffinately will not do. I do struggle to see why so many rarely think to buy anything other than 28 or 30 gram English 6's. For pigeon and partridge fine perhaps. But I'm sure that it more tried Italian 6's or English 5's as an all round shell they would find a dramatic increase in the number of birds dead in the air.