chokes

chris haynes

Just been looking at that teague website...

Ok you have

Flush

Extended

Ported

Extra extended

Ported extended

So guess the next question???

What's the difference?

Sorry all ways be the same I love to learn things and all ways go way into things so I fully understand how they work

Thanks

Simply flush are internal to the barrel. Extended stick out a bit (smoother taper inside the choke), super extended are just longer..... Ports just make your chokes and barrels dirty (ported barrels are different reduced muzzle flip)

I have some ported teagues they make me look better/worse (depending on your view) and make cleaning the gun harder but i like them.

Some people like to know how things work and why, stick 1/2 in and get on with works for some but others (engineers particularly want to know the reasoning behind it, doesnt mean they will shoot better but should stop them wondering)

Also naff all guns come with 2 x half or any other chokes in pairs unless you buy some extras (thats something i struggled with until i got my head round it and some chokes without markings as long as there is one in the top and one in the bottom i am happy. I would be interested in having some un marked ones say a skeet and extra full stick them in unknown and go out and try and say which was which!

Besides somebody has to keep Mr Teague in employment

Edited by HDAV

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the difference?

its all down to the fact that they can sell us more stuff we didnt really need ,but we think do! :lol::)

joking aside extended stick out passed the barrel ,and flush are well flush (inside) the barrel.

i have no idea what ported means in terms of choke. engines yes but not chokes.

Actually it's neither. Choke is a measurement of performance. Ie it may be 10 thou tighter than bore (nominal 1/4) but if it puts 70% o the pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards it's a full. Work on the performance not the measurements

I can see what you're saying Ed, but lets say you're example is using a standard .729" bored gun with a .010" constriction to get the pattern you've described.

If you used a backbored gun with a .740" bore diameter you should, in theory at least, be able to achieve the same pattern with .020" constriction (nom.1/2).

Hence why I say choke is measured dependant on bore diameter.

Ok i guessed that extended stick out and el flush are internal but between them they are not any different?

So its just looks??

Or do they change the patten any way.

I will just quick 2 x 1/4 in just learning a hell of a lot so just want to fully understand it in time make things easier.

Jamie

not just looks the extended have a gradual taper (some chokes are more stepped than a smooth taper). Also you can tighten extended by hand not just with a key. The nicest i think are the teague thinwall chokes often added to fixed choke guns to make multichoke and to "sporterise" trap guns.

Best advice is just go and shoot..... there are more important things to learn and the guys rock up and smoke em shoot better than those that think about it....

Edited by HDAV

I can see what you're saying Ed, but lets say you're example is using a standard .729" bored gun with a .010" constriction to get the pattern you've described.

If you used a backbored gun with a .740" bore diameter you should, in theory at least, be able to achieve the same pattern with .020" constriction (nom.1/2).

Hence why I say choke is measured dependant on bore diameter.

my goodness all the shouting going on...

choke is a measurement of constriction

this is relative to the bore diameter of the barrel, Generally Berreta run tighter bores than Browning, i'll use these two as an example

as poontnag wrote, say a berreta bore of .730" has a choke of .720" "two sizes" then it wouldbe viewed as an I/C.

if a Browning with a bore of .740" has a choke of .720" it would be "four sizes" down, each constriction being measured in .005" increments, this would give a IMP/MOD to MOD choke pending manufacturer.

another example would be to look at both your barrels and measure them, its not unusual to find a varying degree there, i have come across .004" between top and bottom, and knowing that, putting two skeet tubes in would almost give you a skeet and I/C configuration.

it is a science, not for the faint of heart or newcomers to shooting, shove two I/C in and fill your boots, for the Engineering Geeks as myself, it is a lifelong ambition to make the "perfik" tube set to knock down SR71 Blackbirds cruising at 76,000 feet at Mach 3 with little or no lead, just pull through.....

see i can be daft just like the Essex Mob :good::lol:

Martin.

Going back to the original question, your 1/4 & 1/2 in the bottom and top barrel will do you fine to start with, just learn the basics of good shooting first before you worry about chokes, and when you want to know more about chokes then take them to the pattern plate and also experiment with different targets and different chokes, and if you buy after market / extended chokes then pattern them as they will be quite different, and enjoy it..