chokes

chris haynes

being new to the sport (done 3 100 bird shoots)i dont really understand this subject.i shot a barretta 686 with 1/4 in the top barrel & a cylinder in the bottom ,why,bceause the guy in the shop said it was the best configuration for a new shooter ,is this right :??blush: and if so why? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese help me understand this

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its what I started off using when I started shooting. With these chokes being the most open it gives the biggest shot pattern (spread of shot). Thus giving you the best chances of hitting close clays building up your confidance and hopefully your enjoyment of the sport.

When you are more experiance or you feel comfortuble you will probally end up switch to 1/4 in the bottom barrel and 1/2 in the top barrel which brings the more distant clay into play.

Sorry to butt in but I am still learning this.

So which choke do you use for the distance clays?

1/2 or 1/4?

I take it 1/2 as that's a tighter choke so you use that for the distance clays and 1/4 for the closer targets as that's more open so wider spread.

Am I right or wrong. Prob wrong lol

Your correct the 1/2 is a tighter choke that would use for more distant birds..

if you put 1/4 in the bottom and 1/2 in the top, most people would agree that's you sorted for shooting sporting.

I presume your shooting sporting ?

Good luck !

1/2 is tighter than 1/4.

it goes from open to tight somethin like this Skeet, Cylinder,1/4,3/8,1/2,5/8,3/4,full tighter choke for the further away targets, Google choke & shot distances and you'll find a nice wee Briley chart you can print out which tells you which choke to suit certain targets and distances :good:

Still learning myself yes the 1/2 choke is the tighter choke which I use for the more distant targets.

Normally I fire bottom barrel first 1/4 choke but on some stands I select the top barrel first 1/2 choke when the stands shows the first clay is a long shot. Still miss quite a few, I need more practice. :)

You don't need to even contemplate chokes until you are pretty good. My advise is stick either two 1/4 or two 1/2 and don't give it a second thought until you are scoring about 80% on registered standard birds consistently.

Ed makes a very good point, you could stick in the chokes he says and only take them out for cleaning.

Don't what ever you do get too hung up on chokes. It will take your mind off of the more important and must do things about shooting, ie feet position, pick-up point, hold point and hard focus etc.

Stick the 1/4 choke in the bottom barrel and the 1/2 choke in the top barrel.

Use the barrel selector to choose the appropriate choke for the target.

Always use the bottom barrel for the nearest target and the top barrel for the furthest away target.

If you have to shoot the furthest target first then use the top barrel first. :good:

Edited by COACH

This is the best post yet I have never learnt so much from a post ill do that stick two 1/4 in.

And coach thanks about what barrel to use when brilliant

Thanks

with two of the same chokes shoot bottom first, save you thinking of barrel selection also, although Coach is right in his statement, it has no bearing with same chokes.

stick two I/c I THINK YOUR EQAL 1/4 leave it alone until you learn enough to screw your mind up on something else,, whatever your choice, remember to have fun...

Martin.

great helpful stuff :good: i just use improved cylinder in my semi.that's only draw back of semi in my opinion :blush:

when I was about 18/20 I had a Beretta 302 which I shot for 4/5 years with NO choke in it at all, I shot all my game like this and I won quite a bit shootin clays too without a choke, after a month I never even thought about choke - I just shot, 1/4,3/8,1/2 are all brilliant chokes for clays and game :good:

I will it looks like that is the best way to start

1/4 1/4

And I will go from there

Jamie

you wont go wromg there Buddy, the less you have to think about the better it will be, an I/C or 1/4 equiv will suit any target, even those "holly **** thats out there" bird, it gives a good controlled spread from close in birds to 50/60yds, you will find holes in the pattern,,,, well the target will,, but for now i think you will be more concerned with the close to mid range for getting started.

good luck and have fun, when you start putting scores up you can experiment with tighter chokes on longer targets, also tight on close in to see where you shoot.

Martin.,

So know mater what choke you use they will all reach the same distance?

So if that is correct (not saying your wrong) you want a tighter choke on the long ones purely so at the clay its a tighter pattern so the clay dose not go through the middle or something stupid.

Only think this is due to you saying its more to do with patten than range?

So am I right or wrong. lol