Office of National Satistics????

DSPUK

Had a letter today to say a woman from ONS was coming to see us next week - I seem to remember getting a letter a while back but as usual binned it because it was addressed to Occupiers. Now it seems to me that if they know so much about averything they should have known our names.

Has anyone else had a letter to say they are getting a visit - it had the address www.ons.gov.uk on heading but no telephone number - No number or a mobile then get nowt from me.

Dave

OK before everyone goes off ranting i actually know something about this. The data collected is for various reasons it is used by govt depts for lots of things least not provision of public services (its an opportunity to have your say outside of voting for elected toss potz).

The survey will have a title. http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/about-ons/what-we-do/programmes---projects/index.html

Biggest issue with face to face householder surveys is getting people who arent, retired, on benefits etc etc (home during the day) and getting people who cover the whole spectrum of population.

your views and opinions are used by civil service (the people who actually make the country run rather than "run the country") to propose things to govt and track performance. Using evidence based policy rather than just MP dreaming stuff up.....

Generally much more indepth than the census, and conducted by trained interviewers.

IF you have real concerns PM the details and i will get you a phone number, but i would urge you to take part at least that way they get the opinions of at least one shooter!

I also urge anyone else who gets one of these to take part and not to refuse on the basis of not understanding. You can ask the interviewer to explain what data is collected and how it is used and then if you don't wish to take part just tell them.

HDAV

Thanks for that - I will get some sausage rolls in - Looking at her name she might like them -Not!

So what you are saying is the person that is coming is employed by ONS or will she be from an agency but still trained in these surveys ?

Dave

HDAV

Thanks for that - I will get some sausage rolls in - Looking at her name she might like them -Not!

So what you are saying is the person that is coming is employed by ONS or will she be from an agency but still trained in these surveys ?

Dave

The person conducting the interview will be ONS staff alperently they only use staff, so my OH has just told me.

My other half has just spent 2 weeks doing the interviewer briefings for a similar survey in Wales. http://wales.gov.uk/about/aboutresearch/social/ocsropage/nationalsurveyforwales/?lang=en

There should be info like this: http://wales.gov.uk/about/aboutresearch/social/ocsropage/nationalsurveyforwales/informationtext/?lang=en

Either in the letter or online

Edited by HDAV

Yes, I have had a visit and was involved in a survey a few years ago.

The lady that came was a professor and she had written and been to many of our neighbours too trying to get a certain number from the area for demographic statistical analysis. For the one we did (it involved all the family) we were asked to provide spending details. She was not interested in my salary, just what our spending pattern was. We were asked (and you can back out at any time) to keep a log for 4 weeks. She provided the log and envelopes to mail it back. After it was over, we all got postal orders for ten quid each to say thanks.

It wasn't as indepth as it sounds and took about two minutes each night to fill in.

Now me and all my neighbours are military so she was targeting a certain demographic for a particular reason. Your involvement may be totally different and less involved. The government and councils use this type of data to work out what services and infrastructure may be required for future projects.

She will have a problem round here then- most of us can't hear - 50% can't remember yesterday - half will be out - the other 60% won't answer the door because bell doesn't work - and never believe percentages.

Provided she is eye candy I will sit here all day.

I bet you she will turn up when we are shopping as no firm day/date/time was fixed. :huh:

Dave

She will have a problem round here then- most of us can't hear - 50% can't remember yesterday - half will be out - the other 60% won't answer the door because bell doesn't work - and never believe percentages.

Provided she is eye candy I will sit here all day.

I bet you she will turn up when we are shopping as no firm day/date/time was fixed. :huh:

Dave

They will normally make X number of attempts to contact you, you could just stay in on the day!