Childrens educational software

southeastpete

Hi, my fiances 6 yr old boy hates reading and is starting to struggle. We are looking at computer software thinking as kids love computers it might be an easier way to help with his learning.

We have ordered cluefinders year 3 adventures, and junior brain training for the DS.

Has anyone used these or other reading programmes and have any comments?

Many thanks

Pete

My kids used the "Learning Ladder" PC software; they seemed to enjoy using them, collecting virtual 'stickers' etc as you go along.

I've just had a look on Amazon and there are plenty on there, looks like they only go to Windows XP. I've defintely had them running OK on Vista and Windows 7 though.

My eldest (9) has the Brain Training on DS, as well as the Junior Brain Training Maths edition and enjoys them!

There is a good variety of Educational games, It's marvelous really as the Children have no idea they are learning in the process.

I had one for my Son called Word Crane. You use a crane to pick up blocks to finish words and insert them. There are both the right letters and also wrong so it isn't simple.

I also had one where you guess the word, if you get it wrong a cage holding a dragon lifts a little. After about 6 wrong guesses the Dragon escapes and breathes fire onto the Magician. I thought it would be great if it was Paul Daniels doing the burning lol.

Hi, my fiances 6 yr old boy hates reading and is starting to struggle. We are looking at computer software thinking as kids love computers it might be an easier way to help with his learning.

We have ordered cluefinders year 3 adventures, and junior brain training for the DS.

Has anyone used these or other reading programmes and have any comments?

Many thanks

Pete

Try reading eggs great my lad is the same but he loves this and has brought him on leaps and bownds

Edited by the crowman

There has been a lot of research on the subject. What works well with children is the concept of 'gamification' - making the learning a game with the concept of rewards - tokens for example - with a certain number of tokens needed to proceed to the next level. It is how a lot of popular computer games, such as Mario etc. work. We are actualy looking at using this concept in the workplace (which at times is like dealing with kids!)

We had the non reading problem with my eldest ,he just didn't like reading at all and he is very articulate now.We used to leave comics and magazines of his interest around the house and he would sit down and hey presto would pick one up,just something simple to break the cycle,the problem is at primary level non reading will start effect their English composition and creative writing,this was recommended by a writer w know who did the same for her children,

Good luck