Pigeons on Rape in South Northants

PhilR

After we finished our game shoot this afternoon I and a couple of other guns decided to stay behind and shoot a few pigeons along a flight line on their way to roost. All those we shot had crops full to bursting of rape. Looks like it might be time to try the decoys again.

happy days, after what seemed a life time waiting for them to get on to the rape, they finaly have :good:

set up today at 11 with few on the floor[30], they came to decoys before had time to erect hide net properly, then came 1340 they all but stopped so sat it out for hour or so but nothing really moving, decided to call it a day

final bag was 68 and a crow :good::good:

Well, I took up pigeon shooting in the early 70's, and I can honestly say this has been about the worst season I've ever known.

A good number of birds simply disappeared during the big freeze we had last December / January, and they've not come back.

I reckon they must have gone North to Milton Keynes..!! :lol:

Cat.

Well, I took up pigeon shooting in the early 70's, and I can honestly say this has been about the worst season I've ever known.

A good number of birds simply disappeared during the big freeze we had last December / January, and they've not come back.

I reckon they must have gone North to Milton Keynes..!! :lol:

Cat.

I think I've got a personal flock here in MK :D , the amount of bird food we're getting through is amazing. The woodies just wander around the lawn mopping up what's spilled from the feeders :blush:

I'm not allowed to 'move them on' or the squirrels that are having field days on the peanuts as they're 'entertaining' :/

Edited by PhilR

hi people,newbie to the forums,so be nice please !

I shoot in the Corby area, north of the county, but the land I shoot on has game shooting til the end of the month, so really been frustrated.

Been beating for the local shoot to get more permissions( got a result so a worthwhile outcome) and to keep an eye out for pigeons at the same time. Been noticing the flocks forming over the last couple of weeks, and watched them coming in to roost aswell.

Can't wait to get out and do some shooting.The only shooting I have had is a couple of days as a guest gun on the shoot, which has amounted to less than 20 shots in total so I am in denial at the moment.(Its only a small shoot,30-80 bird days)

Only problem is there is so much rape about, which has been growing like crazy in the mild weather,they are spoilt for choice.I'll let you guys know how I get on.

cheers for now

hi people,newbie to the forums,so be nice please !

I shoot in the Corby area, north of the county, but the land I shoot on has game shooting til the end of the month, so really been frustrated.

Been beating for the local shoot to get more permissions( got a result so a worthwhile outcome) and to keep an eye out for pigeons at the same time. Been noticing the flocks forming over the last couple of weeks, and watched them coming in to roost aswell.

Can't wait to get out and do some shooting.The only shooting I have had is a couple of days as a guest gun on the shoot, which has amounted to less than 20 shots in total so I am in denial at the moment.(Its only a small shoot,30-80 bird days)

Only problem is there is so much rape about, which has been growing like crazy in the mild weather,they are spoilt for choice.I'll let you guys know how I get on.

cheers for now

I'm down the road in Kettering and I've had some great sport these last couple of months roost shooting but decoying has been a complete dead loss, one shot and they're off. Can't see it improving until the harvest, but hopefully we'll have plenty of rabbits to look after before too long to keep us interested :good:

Around the woods is definitely the place to be right now, preferably with a bit of wind blowing.

I shoot just down the road from some of you chaps, around Higham Ferrers. Pigeons really flocked up around here but not even gona bother decoying until harvest time.

Just have to settle for my favourite type of shooting then, roosting! :yes: Im easily pleased! :lol: Although big bags can't generally be achieved, if it's blowing a gale it's great sport!

Hopefully off to my favourite spot on Sunday ( Havn't been able to shoot it all winter due to the local Pheasant shoot)

Edited by shotgunshortie