Wages

Hi all, this may be a touchy subject, let's see! I need to re-negotiate my so say part time keepers wage and would like to know the going rate out there for a part time wage. As I am sure u all know it's far from part time!!!! I put on 14 days shooting averaging about 150 head (best day this year 235) I spin daily, and the shoot is on 300 acres, and we don't have any shoots around us. Not gonna say wot I get paid at present as I wanna see the general feeling first! Hope that makes sense, wot ya all reckon???

Cheers

C

Hi chris,

Iv just taken on a part time keeper for a new lease. The ground is 1700 acre 400 of woodland. We will be putting down 4000 pheasant 1000 partridge. The keeper lives on the estate so he hasn't got any travelling. We have a quad and all fuel supplied. I'm not going to say on here what we have agreed on but pm me and we can see what the diff is. Iv said to him, if he wants to take people out pigeon shooting etc for a fee then its all his, also all the money from sold game is his and naturally all tips. If we put on any extra days he would also get a drink. All deer are his too. Pm me mate

Well keepering is not well paid.

Thats for sure - especcially if accomodation etc. is taken out of your package. Alot of the "accomodation" offered makes the cheapest student squats look like the Presidential Suite at the Four Seasons:(. Whoever is making money from this businsess, it certainly isn't the people who put in the hard hours!!:(

Edited by Taffyshooter

If you can keep 4000 birds on 300 acres? Your worth every penny you get !

How the hell do you do that ? :o

My thought as well, dont forget to claim for the nails that you use to tether them. :lol:

My guess would be low 4K high 7K, assuming no expenses, use of a shoot vehicle on the land, i.e no petrol costs. No other perks i would think higher rather than lower. Do bear in mind there are a lot of people who would do this (tax free). I stress this is an informed guess.

Cheers all it's interesting to hear your thoughts, and gives me some serious ammo for negotiations. We are lucky with good ground for holding birds. Would love to say its coz I am amazing but ..... Lol!! And I am sure some out there are thinking we must neighbour a big shoot but we don't we are pretty much stand alone.

Cheers

If you can keep 4000 birds on 300 acres? Your worth every penny you get !

How the hell do you do that ? :o

Thats what i thought, and looking at the 14 days x 150 approx then he has shot over 50% already. and a beaters day to come, Bloody remarkable.

Assuming you get help dogging in, no way you will hold that amount on that acreage unless you get help or the surrounding land is very inhospitable to game.

7 Guns, 4000 to wood, cost per shot bird should be about £20/£25, so say 50k, = 7k per gun per year, so not a shoot for those with shallow pockets. I would say probably 10-12K per year (if paid in folding) + fuel home to shoot, + cartridges, + use of quad + tips etc. Tips for days that size should be £30 per gun per day at least. If you got a job as a pro keeper you would find yourself working 7am- 2am most days from June onwards, a lot of relationships don't stand that, your full time wage then would be about £300 per week less tax etc.

Really well done on what you are achieving.

A

7am to 2am, where do you get those hours from Alycidon ?

7am start yes, home for lunch and tea, around the sheds/pens etc until dark. And thats it until the next morning. Maybe a flash around with a lamp one evening a week.

This modern obsession with lamping is just that, an obsession. It is not neccessary to be out all night trying to eliminate every single fox. Thousands of shoots big and small get by without the keeper spending all hours foxing with lamp and NV. Its just current fashion and not an essential part of running a successful (reared bird) shoot.

Cheers for the compliments chaps, we are on 1900 for this season so far for 12 days shooting. Just beaters and a mop up day to go. I certainly don't work from 7 -2!!! But in the summer it's 4 till 10 with the day job in between! I don't hammer the foxes about 20 this year we have such lumpy ground lamping is a nightmare so I sit out on dawn and dusk alot.

wow any body want to calculate the square meterage per bird is

you would be tripping over them

Shoot i,m on we put 5000 birds down,shoot 12 days all driven,got part time keeper not sure how much he gets,9/10 guns £4000 each,don,t know if this helps with your calculations. 300 acres wow is it all woodland,gamecovers ????

I know of a shoot in the South East who over 600 acres releases 20,000 a year.

Some fag-packet calculations.

That's 82 birds per hectare (100m x 100m), which is one bird for every 121sq/M. If they were evenly distributed you would never be more than 11 metres from a pheasant. I bet beating was fun.

Edit: Actually it might be 5.5M . Head hurts.

Edited by Catweazle