The Longest Retrieve-Chesapeake Bay Retriever

lee-kinsman

I have owned my Chessie for about 9 years now and totally agree with mudpatten.

They are a breed apart and a good degree of dog psychology is required with them. They are very intelligent - time and again I have wondered what he is playing at, only to be reminded he is smarter than I am when he produces the goods. It is a truly enigmatic and unique breed.

The only other advice i would add is to buy from a well established breeder, preferablly one who takes care to occasionally introduce new American genes into our relatively small gene pool here in the UK.

The chessie club is the place to start looking for a breeder, not Gumtree.

• 2 months later...

In my many years of training gundogs I would say that the training of a Chesapeake is not the ideal choice for a novice doghandler. A Labrador is a much more forgiving animal and I would say produces a more consistent soft mouthed retriever.During my years of entering gundog tests I saw quite a few "Chessies" that were rather rough on their retrieves and tended to "mouth" them more than the "Labs".I never felt the urge to obtain one, whilst good Labradors were on offer.Obviously the guy in the video is a very experienced handler, although the particular scene did seem to be somewhat "Stage Managed." An enjoyable view however!

Yes, I`ve heard the same, If he were mine I would thrash him soundly.

Some one else remarked that the film looked "stage managed". I`m not sure how one would stage manage a retrieve on a tidal marsh with the tide moving at the speed it does on the Dee.No "Take 2" possible here without some yawning gaps in the continuity.

It was filmed by Tom O`Carroll who is BASC`s professional film maker and was done straight off with no trick photography.

The distance seen in the film is no special effect, it really was that far!