.22 hornet or 17hmr

sparky_94

120 yards max then by all means go HMR, but if you want to do the job properly then go Hornet. It has as much energy at 150 yards as the HMR does at the muzzle, and if you wish you can reload it. Another thought is the 17 Hornet, I have had one for a year or so, nice caliber.just not that forgiving on misplaced rounds but ideal as a light carry rifle for small vermin. It will be arriving as a factory caliber ( 17 HH, Hornady Hornet) later this year.

A

my dad used to have a 17hmr when i was younger and he always said it was a nice gun sadly not here now. think am going to do some more looking in to them carnt get one till another 4 month.

i have been told that ammo is cheeper for the 17 too and shoots flater.

Factory ammo is miles cheaper for the HMR. Home load the Hornet and they work out about the same.

I gave up my HMR and bought a Hornet because I had some bad experience on Foxes. If all you want to shoot is Rabbits and Hares then the HMR will do all you need. The Hornet has very little to offer over the HMR if the quarry is small, maybe better wind performance but that's about it.

Personally I'd always go Hornet just in case, but home loading a lot of rounds for major bunny control would make it annoying. The .17HH that's coming out soon will be a great in between round but again, if you don't home load it wont be cheap!

The reality is the range of either is not that different, it's just that one carries 245ft lb at the muzzle, and the other a potentially big spread, around 300-700ft lb.

They are different, I don't really see an either or situation, I see both! :good:

BUT, I have HMR and WMR and then jump to the .223, and although I have thought many times over the years about the likes of a Hornet in between, I have never really found the need, or there would be one in the cabinet! :hmm::hmm:

:good:

120 yards max then by all means go HMR, but if you want to do the job properly then go Hornet. It has as much energy at 150 yards as the HMR does at the muzzle, and if you wish you can reload it. Another thought is the 17 Hornet, I have had one for a year or so, nice caliber.just not that forgiving on misplaced rounds but ideal as a light carry rifle for small vermin. It will be arriving as a factory caliber ( 17 HH, Hornady Hornet) later this year.

A

120 yards max with an hmr .......think there a lot more capeable than that , I can do that with my fac air .

My Hmr has managed 190 yard rabbits and thats probably not even pushing it . I have also shot out to 300 yards with this gun ( balloons only) but its still very good tool to have .Push the gun and see for yourself .

Daz