Pike

gazyapp

Been fishing for them for a couple of months on the warwickshire avon....thinking this cold snap would bring on the bigger girls to feed. As of yet i havent had a big pike. 2 of my mates i took had the same fish (13lb 5oz) but apart from that no bigger ones. Ive tried live and dead baits but not even getting much interest from the jacks.

Anyone else having this happen or is it just the stretch im on?! I know the water holds some decent doubles and alot of smaller ones but just cant seem to get much in the way of takes!!

Looking to maybe do a different water around here but not sure where....anyone know of a decent venue?

Thanks

Been fishing for them for a couple of months on the warwickshire avon....thinking this cold snap would bring on the bigger girls to feed. As of yet i havent had a big pike. 2 of my mates i took had the same fish (13lb 5oz) but apart from that no bigger ones. Ive tried live and dead baits but not even getting much interest from the jacks.

Anyone else having this happen or is it just the stretch im on?! I know the water holds some decent doubles and alot of smaller ones but just cant seem to get much in the way of takes!!

Looking to maybe do a different water around here but not sure where....anyone know of a decent venue?

Thanks

That's unusual not getting no interest from jacks,try changing your dead bait what are you using? If course fish are,nt working try some mackerel (either half or joeys) or herring or smelt.if that fails try wobbling deads and walk up and down the river you should come across one sooner or later. Wobbling deadbaits is my preffered method if you don't want to do that try some lures!

Good luck

Thats a nice conditioned fish, well done. :good:

On slow flowing water I have always preferred a dead bait suspended on a float, where the water is faster I use a float/paternoster rig. Pike seem quicker to attack a bait in mid water .

If ledgering is the preferred method, then make sure the bait is popped up, its surprising how much dead weed and rubbish is on the bottom in the Winter.

Try Lamprey dead baits, I have had a lot of success with them and they stay on the hooks well if casting distance.

as said above....I always use a float set up..easier to see takes than legered on the bottom...moves with the current on a river and cover more ground quicker...and take a few different baits...I take smelt, makkie and a few coarse fish...best being a little skimmer. Keep changing the approach.

How long you staying in the same place?? is it boat or bank??

I use what is called hit and run when pike fishing....go to one spot..give it 30-45 mins if that and the move to the next spot.

Also if they allow it live bait works better than dead IMHO alot of the time.

Done alot of fishing on the Norfolk broads..biggest so far is 21.4lb

10102011228.jpg

as others have said, its worthwhile moving around a fair bit to track them down, deeper water, weir pools, boatyards are well worth a look at this time of year. sink and draw is a good way to cover a lot of water in a day.

I do keep hearing tales about netting operations and eastern europeans in the midlands, not seen it myself though, but i have come accross 'deadlines' set a few years ago.

good luck

ill agree with it being a bit up and down in norfolk...still waiting for a 20 this season personally but still time yet.

as was mentioned travel light and get mobile...if you can use live baits so much the better and look for back eddys and areas of slack water around under water obstructions (tree roots... fallen branches etc etc) usually good holding spots for pike....they love an ambush attack !! :yes::good:

good luck mate !!

Thanks

Precise location is required for consistant "luck" Pike are never spread out like currents in a bun, look for prime ambush points and you need to be "spot on the spot" Leapfrogging with two rods in a downstream direction is always worth a go on rivers 20-30 mins a spot till you find them. feeding times are limited generally dawn and dusk but depends on weather and location. Lives beat deads on rivers 9 out of ten occasions and cold weather does not make them more active indeed the reverse is true. Shortly they will gather in the spawning areas look for slightly warmer areas nr stream mouths and with just energing weed growth :good:

Thanks for all the replies, the spot I'm fishing is a slow flowing weir pool, it's kind of separate to the main river. It flows through it but the outlet is loads smaller than the inlet, hence it being slow. When it gets back to the river it speeds up slot more I nearly always fish for pike with a float.... Got more options I feel as I can suspend it etc. I've tried sea baits but never had any success, swapped over to lives or coarse deads and had much more luck. I've had a few aborted takes but feel these may have been zander as there's a fair few in there and just didn't feel like a pike run. The pike do spawn in this mill pool on a gravel bar that shallows the water up to about 2ft.... Normally you can get a few runs from it but nothing much compared to last season, although I have seen a few pike topping there when last fishing so maybe spawning???

Again thanks for the advice... May have a go at the weekend