poor days fishing

PotHunter96

hi all went fishing at turners pool near wincle on saturday and for about 6 hours fishing failed to produce a bite i was fishing between 20 and 40 yards of the bank and there were fish feeding everywhere i was ledgering as well as feeder fishing at the start however for most of the session i was ledgering i was using sweetcorn as bait and there were roach jumping everywhere other people seemed to be succsesful. we went a few months ago in november and for the whole trip we between us caught one decent carp and 2 roach one of which dropped of(also i wasnt the one who caught any of those) am i doing something wrong? different method i could try next time or was it just that i was in the wrong place at the wrong time although there were fish feeding all around my hookbait thank you :good:

Next time you go take maggots,you will never leave without at least a few tiny roach. but I don't think that's the problem here though if you reckon fish was grubbing in around your bait but not taking your hook bait,this to me points at to things 1.there was something seriously a matter with your presentation,eg line to thick,to big hook(for roach at least) or 2. You wasn't,t leaving the rod in the water long enough,I've caught carp after 15-24 hours plus after initially casting a rod in before. Remember on the winter fish are a lot slower to feed and hardly do,carp especially. You may have dumped to much bait in and they were literally full up.in winter carp hardly eat a lot at all. Although roach (especially big guns) are quite prolific in the winter as well as pike and chub

Hope my rambling helps!

wrong hookbait should have tried maggot caster hemp,never just ely on one bait fella, cheer matt

i had some dead maggots in the freezer but i took them out to early and by morning theyd gone a bit manky so i mainly relied on sweetcorn then at the end i got desperate and tried fishing bread as there were roach jumping around i thought that maybe my ledger wieht could have being disturbing them more

thanks guys really helpful im using 15 lb breaking strain line, too thick???

hello mate,you are toooo :o heavy for winter roach you need to scale down 3lb line and 1.5lb hook length,size 20/22 hook and small baits,very fine ground bait and a fine quiver tip,small open feeder oh and a hot flask of soup.

i have had some good roach with curry powder sprinkled on the maggots (it works dont knock it) hope this helps,have fun

Edited by chefy

If there were fish jumping then they were probably feeding up in the water so your bait on the bottom may have been in the wrong place. Try a float next time then you can cover all depths and find at what depth they are feeding.

I agree , the fish often move up in the water in cold conditions especially if its deep , not sure what you were fishing for but if its carp try float fishing while constantly drip feeding maggots , if you fishing for bigger stuff try zig rigs at differnt depths until you get takes.

thanks guys really helpful im using 15 lb breaking strain line, too thick???

Unless you are pike fishing, hell yes!

If you're after 'big' fish, like good bream or carp etc then 6 lb should be enough, if you are roach fishing , then I'd say 2 lb or less. You're very unlikely to catch a 2lb Roach!

hi all went fishing at turners pool near wincle on saturday and for about 6 hours fishing failed to produce a bite i was fishing between 20 and 40 yards of the bank and there were fish feeding everywhere i was ledgering as well as feeder fishing at the start however for most of the session i was ledgering i was using sweetcorn as bait and there were roach jumping everywhere other people seemed to be succsesful. we went a few months ago in november and for the whole trip we between us caught one decent carp and 2 roach one of which dropped of(also i wasnt the one who caught any of those) am i doing something wrong? different method i could try next time or was it just that i was in the wrong place at the wrong time although there were fish feeding all around my hookbait thank you :good:

No offence but you sound quite young and inexperianced... :good:

Its a learning curve and the best places for advice is forums like this, books and the local tackle shop.

When fishing on the broads for the bream and roach where in a night we can do 140lb :blush: , In the summer I would use 8lb main to 4lb bottom size 14/16 and put in 15-20kg of spod mix using maggots or sweetcorn on the hook... For winter fishing I scale everything down 4-6lb mainline 18-20 hook with 2 lb bottom with maggots as hookbait no spod mix just a feeder of brown crumb and mollassas and maggots.

If you were nearer would take you out as we all have to learn somehow and the best way is tolearn off other people. I been with a PW member off here for sea fishing and the amount I have learnt off him in 2/3 sessions is more than I read...including the silcone rig trick :lol:

your right i am very young and quite inexperienced(with stillwater fishing) :lol:

thank you i think i was using way too heavy tackle 15 lb mainline (with no hooklength)

size 10 barbless hooks and i was using ledger weights and feeder.were going in a few weeks so i may try waggler float 6lb mainline 3lb hooklength and size 12 or smaller hooks with maggots as bait and then just catapult maggots around the float :good: thanks for all the advice :good:

your right i am very young and quite inexperienced(with stillwater fishing) :lol:

thank you i think i was using way too heavy tackle 15 lb mainline (with no hooklength)

size 10 barbless hooks and i was using ledger weights and feeder.were going in a few weeks so i may try waggler float 6lb mainline 3lb hooklength and size 12 or smaller hooks with maggots as bait and then just catapult maggots around the float :good: thanks for all the advice :good:

If its small roach etc that you are after I would scale down even more than size 12....look at a size 18 or even 20 depending on how heavy fished the place is...

If you waggler dont forget to plumb the depth :good:

Look at some groundbait aswell just brown crumb will do you for now...dont need to spend a fortune on it for now till you get some more experiance

If its small roach etc that you are after I would scale down even more than size 12....look at a size 18 or even 20 depending on how heavy fished the place is...

If you waggler dont forget to plumb the depth :good:

Look at some groundbait aswell just brown crumb will do you for now...dont need to spend a fortune on it for now till you get some more experiance

im afraid that the rule at turners is groundbait on feeder only(silly i know) and there are carp in that water so is that size suitable

Do yo know how big the carp run to?

IF they are up to 6-7lb then your 6lb mainline will suffice, just remember to set you reels clutch ( and set it to your hook length not mainline strength.

Really you need to decide whether you want to target the carp or wait and see what picks the bait up, especially if the carp are substantial. You will catch more the lighter your set up but that also means you have to perhaps ignore the carp, alternatively target the carp and scale up accordingly. Just bear in mind that carp fishing can involve quite a few blank sessions. If I were you I'd go for whatever swims past with a light set up and maggots for hook bait, you may still hook the odd carp which will be a heart rate raising experience as well.

Id say your problem is fishing for carp....:) Get pike fishing and trout when in season. no more blank days sitting in your seat doing nothing. You will also not have to take your exspensive barrows full of over priced junk up and down the lakes.

Also what is fun in catching a fish your mate and his mate caught last year?

Nothing beats landing a double figure fish on a fly rod.. You can even catch carp.

Rant over..... tight lines! :good:

Do yo know how big the carp run to?

IF they are up to 6-7lb then your 6lb mainline will suffice, just remember to set you reels clutch ( and set it to your hook length not mainline strength.

Really you need to decide whether you want to target the carp or wait and see what picks the bait up, especially if the carp are substantial. You will catch more the lighter your set up but that also means you have to perhaps ignore the carp, alternatively target the carp and scale up accordingly. Just bear in mind that carp fishing can involve quite a few blank sessions. If I were you I'd go for whatever swims past with a light set up and maggots for hook bait, you may still hook the odd carp which will be a heart rate raising experience as well.

on that lake i usually target carp and tench in summer and in winter i target the roach and bream

Id say your problem is fishing for carp....:) Get pike fishing and trout when in season....

:lol: Nowadays I'd tend to agree with you, although I sea and fly fish and occasionally combine the two!

...but I came from a coarse fishing background, went through phases of match fishing, carp fishing, specimen hunting and back to general scratching before eventually selling off all my carp and most of my coarse gear. I suspect you will probably have started off roach bashing or similar purely because it's the cheapest, easiest, most accessible form of angling and where most fishermen start. I'd encourage anyone to do it initially rather than struggle with something a bit more technical and getting put off for life.

Id say your problem is fishing for carp....:) Get pike fishing and trout when in season. no more blank days sitting in your seat doing nothing. You will also not have to take your exspensive barrows full of over priced junk up and down the lakes.

Also what is fun in catching a fish your mate and his mate caught last year?

Nothing beats landing a double figure fish on a fly rod.. You can even catch carp.

Rant over..... tight lines! :good:

i do fish for trout in summer as well but its on a small river that runs through my uncles farm and mainly using worms as i dont have a fly rod how much would a cheap but decent one be these days as id like to start fly fishing thanks :good:

You can pick up a fly set up with everything you need second hand on eBay for under a 100 :-) look for a grayes rod I'd say 7 or 8 weight as it easy to cast and around 7 foot. This will cast very far with ease. If your just casting short in rivers it will still perform, but I would recommend any trout lakes to get used to casting. Just be prepared to get into some big knots :-) but its all fun.

You can pick up a fly set up with everything you need second hand on eBay for under a 100 :-) look for a grayes rod I'd say 7 or 8 weight as it easy to cast and around 7 foot. This will cast very far with ease. If your just casting short in rivers it will still perform, but I would recommend any trout lakes to get used to casting. Just be prepared to get into some big knots :-) but its all fun.

i have tried fly fishing on the river but i was using a normal rod with a reel and floating line theres a trout lake right next to the carp lake im on about £18 for 2 hours you can keep two fish. also ive quite got into tying my own flies so i think a fly set would be a good idea :good::good: thank you very much

:lol: Nowadays I'd tend to agree with you, although I sea and fly fish and occasionally combine the two!

...but I came from a coarse fishing background, went through phases of match fishing, carp fishing, specimen hunting and back to general scratching before eventually selling off all my carp and most of my coarse gear. I suspect you will probably have started off roach bashing or similar purely because it's the cheapest, easiest, most accessible form of angling and where most fishermen start. I'd encourage anyone to do it initially rather than struggle with something a bit more technical and getting put off for life.

I am in the same boat now as I have 3 Delkim TXI+ and RX reciever, 2 greys 2.75lb X Flites and 3 solar hangers union jack that I have not used for a bit and cant decide to sell or not...plus other bits like unhooking mat etc but I am worried if I sell them that I will regret it :sly: