lgv/hgv jobs ?

haggis

Haggis,

There will be plenty of work around Thurrock/Basildon area come the summer, but after Christmas the driving game is dead on its wheels.

I have me class 1, with experience in night trunking, but at the moment i am having to drive class 2 doing multi drop around east, and west sussex. Not complaing as its what i have to do to earn money. I would say go for it, but be prepared to work long hours, and for not a lot of money, or thanks for what you do. And you will have to take your cpc before 2014 as well

HTH

Steve

curious as to what is a CPC ?? anyone please??

Martin.

certificate of proffessional competence.

You earn it over 5 year period, 7 hours each year, and as I understand, it is almost impossible fail, it also comes with Grandfather rights if have been driving for a number of years, but then renewable /retest every 5 years from 2014

You can also take the 35 hours training all in one go at the end of the 5 year period, but of course, before the date expires.

Please correct me if I am incorrect, it is a little while since I worked in a transport enviroment and this was just coming in as I retired.

ps

not to be compared with the CPC required to be held by transport managers/companies on hire and reward

Edited by bakerboy

certificate of proffessional competence.

You earn it over 5 year period, 7 hours each year, and as I understand, it is almost impossible fail, it also comes with Grandfather rights if have been driving for a number of years, but then renewable /retest every 5 years from 2014

You can also take the 35 hours training all in one go at the end of the 5 year period, but of course, before the date expires.

Please correct me if I am incorrect, it is a little while since I worked in a transport enviroment and this was just coming in as I retired.

ps

not to be compared with the CPC required to be held by transport managers/companies on hire and reward

thanks buddy, thats what i was looking for, i was kinda thinking along the transport managers licence idea, i sat that back in the 80's for my trucking back in Bristol, figured it must be a kinda modern day version

Martin.

If you are after class 1, go with a trainer that has a set up that just puts trailer onto class 2 truck. Passed mine this way a good few years ago, was i feel easier and you are used to the same unit.

As has been said expect long hours, low pay (thanks to the migrant workers) and being treated like scum from everyone on the road.

Thank god im out of it, you could have my class 1 entitlement if you could. oh, nearly forgot get used to the phrase "just nip" as the boss will use it constantly.

anyone who thinks driving trucks is 'just a job' really has no idea, IMHO.

I work on the continent, in an artic 6 days a week. Its not just a job, its a lifestlye. My long term partner broke up with me over my 'job' as I was never home... He left me and shacked up with a fat bird - another thread altogether.

My life is pretty much governed by bl00dy tachograph hours :lol: . Anything I want to do, I have to plan around my work... However, ever since I can remember all I have ever wanted to do is drive a truck (have been to Uni, got my degree/MSc etc)

I take home on average, £500-650 a week. If I'm having a BAD week, its about £400 :good:

Welshlamb --Sorry to hear about your partner leaving you. I work in a garage that makes people redundant all the time and then employs someone else 3 months later when busy or puts us on a 4 day week I wanted something to fall back on just incase the golden finger points at me!

anyone who thinks driving trucks is 'just a job' really has no idea, IMHO.

I work on the continent, in an artic 6 days a week. Its not just a job, its a lifestlye. My long term partner broke up with me over my 'job' as I was never home... He left me and shacked up with a fat bird - another thread altogether.

My life is pretty much governed by bl00dy tachograph hours :lol: . Anything I want to do, I have to plan around my work... However, ever since I can remember all I have ever wanted to do is drive a truck (have been to Uni, got my degree/MSc etc)

I take home on average, £500-650 a week. If I'm having a BAD week, its about £400 :good:

*sits and waits*

Think of all the Yorkies, full English breakfasts and being able to overtake on a dual carriageway REALLY slowly at 56.5MPH for miles.

I would do it just for that :good:

Slander !...slander i say!!!

:shaun: (class 1 licence holder :D)

Edited by shaun4860

Think of all the Yorkies, full English breakfasts and being able to overtake on a dual carriageway REALLY slowly at 56.5MPH for miles.

I would do it just for that :good:

Ithought Yorkies were "NOT FOR GIRLS" something change in the years i've been gone,,,,,, women truck drivers ???? whatever next......

Martin.

As far as I'm aware the least popular work is multi drop, so why not look for an agency who has that type of work but also has a scheme to put you through your class 2 then class one.

Despite what some might say not all agencies are thieving, lying shameless con men, just like not all LGV drivers are fat, lazy, opinionated, bloody minded, pedantic road-hogging.....;)

If you like your home comforts, Dont do it

If you like to spend time with your famliy,Dont do it

If you like to know what your doing from one day to the next, Dont do it

And if you still want a marriage at the end of it, Dont do it.

Your relationship with your partner will always come second to being on the roads

I found that out on my Honeymoon :rolleyes:

Their are so many drivers out off work at the mo.Firms really can pick out the cream of the crop.

To have a decent wage,You really do have to give up on having a home life and the spare time you have for shooting ;)

xxxxSuzy

What about if I had my own lorry? What sort would you go for flat bed with hiab? Tipper

Then you could join the hordes of owner drivers that call our office every day looking for loads. No joke, I get about 50-60 emails A DAY from hauliers with empty trucks.

You will also find that your one truck is never in the right place in the country.

Have one prang or puncture and that's a few weeks or days money gone.

If you have money to invest and no skills I would look at a small franchise. This morning I had the wheels refurbed on my Sport by Chips Away (franchise), Mrs ME has her oven cleaned by a franchise man, our dog is groomed by a mobile dog grooming lady who has a franchise. There are some good, some bad, but at least you are your own boss and it is a proven business model. :good:

Edited by ME

As far as I'm aware the least popular work is multi drop, so why not look for an agency who has that type of work but also has a scheme to put you through your class 2 then class one.

Despite what some might say not all agencies are thieving, lying shameless con men, just like not all LGV drivers are fat, lazy, opinionated, bloody minded, pedantic road-hogging.....;)

you forgot murdering prozzies :unsure: