L200 buying

dobbin66

Dont buy post 2004 as they swapped engine production from Thailand to Taiwan or vice versa cant remember which and it was disastrous head failures etc anything before that is pretty bullet proof, however there is always the exception to the rule, but would be nervous of anything 54-55 plate, do what I did do your research and buy a Ford Ranger

Almost true 2002 to 3 they had head issues and they were prone to cracking after 80k or so but new heads are 400 or so so not that big ano issue. You get loads more truck than a similar priced hilux just look for the usual stuff and try not to buy an abused one. Rangers are fine but very agricultural in comparison

yes I agree my Ranger could masquerade as a John Deere if I painted it green and yellow, to be fair though no real major issues unlike the L200 and the D22 google L200 problems and see how many hits there are !!!!! intergalactic, rangers by comparison have very few issues, they are great for towing also, get a mk 2 as they are prettier

:good:

yes I agree my Ranger could masquerade as a John Deere if I painted it green and yellow, to be fair though no real major issues unlike the L200 and the D22 google L200 problems and see how many hits there are !!!!! intergalactic, rangers by comparison have very few issues, they are great for towing also, get a mk 2 as they are prettier

I could read reviews and lets face it you only post one when there are problems. On the other hand I could give a view on owning two and about 70k driven in them. The first had a few problems including the head but it was an shb 4x4 hire vehicle for much of its life so had been abused severely that had the head problem and niggly things but all simple fixes, the second a 60k one owner well maintained vehicle I've done 25k in so far and just normal service items done. They are a cracking cheap to run truck but do suffer if abused like anything. The plus point is loads have done next to no work and been used as cars so simply buy on condition. I spend too much time in mine to put up with an older ranger

We have Two L200's we've done 30k in one (1998 model) including some Towing, and the other (2001 Purchased from Al4x above) has done about 4k Including a lot of lamping off road and some serious Green laneing,

Both have had clutches(the 1998 one within 30 miles of buying it) , but i can say that about other vehicles "they wear out" like Tyres, i've put "New" tyres on one (Didnt think used ones were any good BUT we wont go there)

Brilliant Bits of kit, We love them !!!

We're upgrading and selling Both and buying an Animal and a single cab for Shooting

Edited by wabbitbosher

I've a 03 4life, had it 3 yrs, changed the head, g/box and clutch. plus normal maintenance, really like it used for woodland/gamekeepering etc -planning on keeping it - what more :good: I have seen local L200's much older and still going well, but as with buying any 'motor' you need somebody to look over it first.

Edited by Conygree