Perfect Pheasant breast - tender as steak!

coneyhunter

hello all,

i would like to share with you my recepie for perfect pheasant breast, i have worked on this for a while and have had many positive comments about the end prouduct.... so here goes...

Step 1. Select your Pheasant, preferably a Cock Bird as they present you with bigger breasts ( ;) find a cool place ( a garage or shed being ideal) and hang for a maximum of 30 Hours, this will allow the bird to cool and the meat will become firm and easy to slice.

Step 2: after the alloted time take a sharp knife and turn the bird onto its back, place it on a hard surface and gently pinch the front plumage, along the breast bone is ideal, pierce the skin with the knife and gently open up the cut, pull the skin and feathers back in an outwards notion until it reaches the bottom of the legs.

Step 3: gently cut down the breast bone on either side of the bird, seperating the breasts from the carcass. Gently wash the breasts under cold water, removing any feathers and dried blood.

Step 4: tenderise the breasts with either a meat tenderiser or a large rolling pin, dont go mad, a handful of strikes is enough for each breast.

Step 5: Freeze the breasts for a minimum of 24 hours ( i am convincded this breaks down any sinew makin the meat very soft) and thoroughly defrost BEFORE cooking.

Step 6. Sprinkle a large pan with olive or similar oil and leave until very hot, place the breasts in the pan, they should sizzle loudly, brown the bottom side and then quickly turn the breasts over, browing the raw side, do this for a maximum of 4 minuites and then turn the heat down to simmer.

Step 7. turn the breasts frequently and watch for the juies of the bird flowing through the meat, it is important to keep the heat low as cooking on high heat can make the breasts tough, once the juices are clear serve immediatley ( checking the meat is white all the way through)

Enjoy :good:

I like the sound of those pies. Anything involving game and pastry usually gets my vote.

mine too!

honestly i usally hang them for one week in the shed.

i once did some after two weeks, they were fine, but a little strong tasting, after that during the season i try get into the habit of putting braces into hang, and taking out braces to de breast.

Anychance of a recipie for your game pies?