Best PCP air Rifle for Rabbit and Pigeons

Alexbb

As in the title I am thinking of buying a chargeable air gun for a quieter approach to bagging some rabbits and Pigeons. Has anyone any ideas on the sort of power needed to put down a rabbit at reasonable range with these types of guns? Alsowhat sort of money can you get them 2nd hand?

Cheers, in advance.

A

Just about any full power PCP will do the job out to approx 45yds depending on your skill and accuracy.

I personally own a Weirauch HW100 .22 which is very accurate and very effective it is putting out 11.7lb/ft with air arms field pellets.

As for cost it all depends on your budget second hand guns are available for as little as £100 (reasonable condition)but bare in mind all the ancilleries you need to go with a PCP rifle such as dive tank, regulator, stirrup pump etc which can cost a further £150 - £200 in themselves.

The other decision to be made is what calibre .177 - flat tragectory or .22 then there's single shot or magazine fed the options are endless.

I f I was to ffer any advice I would suggest a .22 with a decent scope and moderator is a must.

IMO PCP is the way forward if you wish to improve your head count and once you have taken the initial sting out of the cost its a very reliable and accurate system and I dont think you would ever go back to springs again.

Hope this helps

As Brad has mentioned above it all depends on your budget.PCP guns are not cheap but at the end of the day you pay for the best equipment!

I will always recommend the Air Arms S410 and the Theoben Rapid range of rifles!These rifles are quality made and extremely accurate too.

Personally im a .177 fan as i love the nice flat shooting.I also use Bisley Magnum pellets in all my .177`s simply because they are a good accurate pellet!

As for scopes-how long is a piece of string really!?I will always recommend Simmons,Bushnell and Nikko Sterling range of scopes for a good quality air-rifle.

If you need anymore info Alex just fire away!

ATB.

Last year I bought a Rapid 7 and scope second hand for £300, but by time I rebuilt it, bought a charge adapter and a better scope I had added another £200, luckily a mate has lent me a dive bottle. I have found it to be very accurate and all round a great air rifle.

Martin

Do not go by what people say is best, it is what feels right to you.

Some people love the Ultra, I hate the cocking system, I think it is an unnecessary complication on what would be a great rifle otherwise. Who is right? We both are. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Some people rate BSA (I do apart from the Ultra and Hornet PCP rifles), some HW (though HW only make 1 PCP, it is just variations on a theme, the 101 is a single shot, the carbine is a shorter barrel etc etc). See what feels right and then ask if anybody has had problems with it!

Do not go by what people say is best, it is what feels right to you.

Some people love the Ultra, I hate the cocking system, I think it is an unnecessary complication on what would be a great rifle otherwise. Who is right? We both are. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Some people rate BSA (I do apart from the Ultra and Hornet PCP rifles), some HW (though HW only make 1 PCP, it is just variations on a theme, the 101 is a single shot, the carbine is a shorter barrel etc etc). See what feels right and then ask if anybody has had problems with it!

I agree the cocking system is long winded and unnecessary but it's a nice accurate and lightweight gun, could do with just being able to push the front plunger in and not have to worry about the magazine spring would have been much better.

I agree the cocking system is long winded and unnecessary but it's a nice accurate and lightweight gun, could do with just being able to push the front plunger in and not have to worry about the magazine spring would have been much better.

The little swines are accurate, I agree, I owned one for three weeks before it went back to the shop I bought it from, I hated the MMC that much. The wife bought it for me to repalce a Super 10 I had to sell!

Some good recommendations already, especially the AA S410. All I can think to add is that if you want to try PCP without spending much, then an old Falcon FN19 is a cheap, effective rifle.

Ive had an 8 shot falcon FN19 for the last 5yrs, great rifles, light, accurate and powerful. The only draw back with a pcp is the need for a dive bottle, you'l get around 70 shots per charge.

I'm thinking of trading mine in for a HW97K, today's springers a very good and very quiet.

Ive had an 8 shot falcon FN19 for the last 5yrs, great rifles, light, accurate and powerful. The only draw back with a pcp is the need for a dive bottle, you'l get around 70 shots per charge.

I'm thinking of trading mine in for a HW97K, today's springers a very good and very quiet.

To be fair, my 97K is about as loud as a .22 rimmy. Tuned up, the crack is amazing. Still beter than a PCP though.