Grey Wagtail

GREENGRASS

Well been working hard on the house of late.

Whilst having the carpet fitted in the lounge saw this little bird in the rear garden. Hastily got camera, stopped the carpet fitters and slowly opened the patio door slightly now lying on stomach and got a few shots. The carpet fitters thought I was mad to say the least. :yes:

I have never observed one of these wagtails previously and had to refer to the big bird book :good:

GG

Well been working hard on the house of late.

Whilst having the carpet fitted in the lounge saw this little bird in the rear garden. Hastily got camera, stopped the carpet fitters and slowly opened the patio door slightly now lying on stomach and got a few shots. The carpet fitters thought I was mad to say the least. :yes:

I have never observed one of these wagtails previously and had to refer to the big bird book :good:

GG

Absolutely superb pic mate well done!

Nice pic

Had a pair here every year for as long as I remember. Then in last years hard weather I found one dead in the snow, haven't seen one since. Sad really, but nice to see you have them. :good:

good point. have to get ready for the tits. smahing pics :good:

Brilliant Picture Greengrass, and thanks for mailing me a copy.

Quite an uncommon sight these days... I used to see a few about every summer down the local river, now only one or two every couple of years or so..

Being soley insectivores they are very badly effected by severe winters, were in decline, another bird badly affected by agricultural policy on spraying pesticides but now recovering.

If they are in the garden can be helped with live maggots or meal worms.

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/shared/scripts/quicktime.php?url=http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/sounds/grey_wagtail.mov&title=Song