Rabbits with shotgun

Richard.Hosgood

Hi chaps,

I know of a farmer who has an issue with rabbits, and I am thinking that I should offer him my 'services' to assist in their control.

However, I only have a SGC and shotgun, and am wondering how best to go about using it to maximum effect?

Obviously I know that it is capable of killing the animal, but would it be sensible approach? Is it going to be a case of 1 shot and the rest run and hide due to the noise? Should I be considering obtaining a non fac air rifle rather than trying to use a shotgun? FAC isnt really an option for me.

Will be grateful for advise!

Cheers

Richard

Hi chaps,

I know of a farmer who has an issue with rabbits, and I am thinking that I should offer him my 'services' to assist in their control.

However, I only have a SGC and shotgun, and am wondering how best to go about using it to maximum effect?

Obviously I know that it is capable of killing the animal, but would it be sensible approach? Is it going to be a case of 1 shot and the rest run and hide due to the noise? Should I be considering obtaining a non fac air rifle rather than trying to use a shotgun? FAC isnt really an option for me.

Cheers

Richard

Depends on the ground realy, if it is a small place it might well be one or two and go home - a big one with good cover and a few more guns with dogs can score big walking them up. Have you considered a moderated shotgun?

Edited by kent

Hi chaps,

Cheers

Richard

You could do worse than try a <12ft/lb Air Rifle and sit up around 30-35rds and pick them off, Are they out in the daytime ?

If you go the FAC route then you have a whole heap of expense and hassle, cabinet or seperate safe for ammo, buying another weapon(ok perfect excuse)

the application cost, referees,

Its worth a go, sometimes they will bolt after one shot but a few times I have had 2 from two barrels sitting next to each other.

Just remember they take a bit more killing than pigeons, you'll do well with some #5s and make sure you get the barrels under them rather than on them. Let us know how you get on.

What about getting yourself a couple of ferrets and a shooting buddy to help work the ferrets and cover the other side of the hedge. Makes for the most exciting of shooting and some huge bags of rabbits. Ferrets are available for less than £10 but more often than not for free. Ive had days of 30 or so. My father and a friend often shot 100+ in a day. They traveled to and from their shooting on bicycles too!

With rabbits I find a 12g Hushpower surprisingly useful,especially in spring for young ones along hedgerows & later in the year flushing from nettle patches etc.The noise difference really does make a difference with rabbits.Having said that my tool of choice is mostly .22lr & occasionally air rifle.

As has been said above it may well depend on the ground and acreage that we are talking about. We used to control rabbits with shotguns almost all year round, 2 people shooting off the back of a Toyota hilux & 1 lamping. Depending on the farmers views, crops & access to a 4x4 you can wait for a decent frost & drive on cereal crops this time of year without causing damage. Bang away to your hearts content, obviously the bunnies will get wise after a few outings though!

Edited by decoy1979

Been and had a nose about and chat with the farmer (via work for work related issues) and laid enough hints, which he picked up on, but himself and his son shoot it (but obviously not enough) so further 'encouragement' needed! :good:

Thanks for the advise, think I will keep my eyes open for a suitable .22 or .177 air rifle :good:

im only in plymouth and have access to a number of ferrets, shotguns and my soon to aquire .22lr but would need to have permission in writing for that, but the shotgun and ferrets are ready and waiting :)

like devon fox has said, also have a landy ready and waiting too... just drop me a pm if you need

Edited by rabbit_stu

You have the recipe for some pick up shooting!

If the ground is right, and assuming You can drive on it?

We normally have a driver, 2 guns either side of a lamper (We have a cage made) and have great results,often pegging off large numbers, We tend to hit them hard every 5/6 weeks and it works really well for us,great sport :good: