Clay grounds near st Helens

Johnnyplatt

Evening Gents,

I'm new to shooting and I live in the st helens area of merseyside/south lancs. I'm looking to find a club or shooting ground in the area.

I've looked at various directories but none of them give you a flavour of what the place or people are like. I'm looking for somewhere friendly where I can pick up some tips and won't get the **** taken out of me for not having a browning or other expensive gun.

I've been to the dolphin a few times and I liked that, but it's a good 45 mins to get there and I was hoping for somewhere closer.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

John

Edited by nickbeardo
do not avoid the swear filter - please read the rules

Rixton on the East Lancs road and Rainhill are nearer.

I think that Gordon may mean Rainford rather than Rainhill.

The shooting ground is off Intake Lane at Bickerstaffe.

I've never shot there, but you will get more information from the fieldsports shop in Rainford.

webber

Evening Gents,

I'm new to shooting and I live in the st helens area of merseyside/south lancs. I'm looking to find a club or shooting ground in the area.

I've looked at various directories but none of them give you a flavour of what the place or people are like. I'm looking for somewhere friendly where I can pick up some tips and won't get the **** taken out of me for not having a browning or other expensive gun.

I've been to the dolphin a few times and I liked that, but it's a good 45 mins to get there and I was hoping for somewhere closer.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

John

Try one of the small clubs mentioned above, I've heard that they are friendly.

But don't get hung up with all this myth about snobbery at bigger grounds. You won't get that at a place like Worsley, they're fine. :rolleyes:

That's all flannel put about by a few bitter and twisted self-conscious cloth cap dinosaurs, in the name of keeping the red flag flying. It's a load of **** :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got all excited there - I live in Rainhill so that would have been handy!

Has anyone shot at Rixton or Rainford?

There is a clay club at Rainhill, well very close to Rainhill. It is a private club called Cronton Gun Club and is (hard to believe I know) in Cronton. They have a website which I've just found via. google http://crontongunclub.wordpress.com/.

Although I live less than 5 miles away I've never been but do know one or two who are regular members. You will be able to contact the club via. the website or I'm sure the cartridge supplier John Beswick of Station Garage in Rainhill (0151 426 4607) will give you the lowdown as I know he is a member.

I know no other details, costs, friendliness etc. etc. but worth chasing up.

Potter

Yes you can hear the guns from Rainhill so pretty close. Good club I have been a few times. AS above John Beswick will point you in the right direction don't think he has been for a while though. I think joining includes your BASC membership too if you don't have any. was £180 per year last time I was up.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...