any diesel fitters on board

bignoel

right i have a navara on a 53 plate 92k on clock never missed a beat .only had a smallproblem it would cut out after doing 5/600 mile restart and away again .that encreased to a 1000miles .well here on friday night it was -11 went out fired up the jeep but it seemed lumpy it has all the anti freeze in it i drove 60 yrds it lost power engine mangement ligth came on flashing .so i parked it up .came back in the late afternoon fired her up no problem no smoke etc just a tapping noise from the engine seems to be the bottom left hand side behind the timing case the tapping doesnt encrease if i give it slight revs the engine management light doesnt come on now and there is no somke from her i could drive it if it wasnt for the tapping telling me something is wrong .AA told me at a guess it was a diesel enjector 30 secounds of his time ? .any ideas before i take it to nissan who will proberly surgest a new engine .noel

'Waxing' of your diesel fuel at low temperatures?

'Lumpy' going through the injectors.

Farmers have been known to add a little parraffin to their tractor tanks to prevent this - Don't know what that would do to a car.

Bet she's running a treat now it is warmer.

Had the same problem with my Landrover 90 last week and she's back to normal now.

The knocking??? Probably unrelated - Turn the radio up 'till you get used to it.

i build gennys for the mod at work they are tested to -50 but when they get down to that temp we replace the filters to sub zero temps ( basic bigger holes in) and run the engine on keosene to stop the waxing. could see if you can get different micro size filters or if its possible to mix your fuel with something to reduce the waxing

Most diesel fuel sold now has winter additives added. Ignore the posts about Parafin, if its a common rail diesel engine it needs clean fuelm as from the pump

I used to own a Nissan terino (M reg)the book said put 1 gallon of petrol per tank in the winter but this was an old style engine, this is not advisable for yours. Best bet is go to the dealer I know it might be expensive but a recon engine will cost considerably more

Been a diesel fitter for 25 years and dont know how diesel can smell waxy ??????

Deershooter

Edited by deershooter

Winter diesel should be enough but if it gets very cold then additives can be added http://www.kamco.co.uk/diesel.htm also if your fuelling from your own bulk tanks bought in summer it wont have the additives (something farmers need to look out for when they still have summer fuel in bulk tanks when we hit a cold spell)

UK winter fuel is rated to -15 and is sold from October onwards... Unless it was -15 or lower then the fuel "should not" be the issue

I am guessing that you are running it on Bio diesl, this is a thicker product than hydro carbon diesl. Hydro carbon diesl is winterised at this time of year and should not be effected by waxing ( not somthing you can smell, it's the fuel becoming thicker, basically freezing.) However because of what it is Bio can not be winterised. To aleviate the problem with the fairly mild temp of -11 just use a 50 50 mix of the two fuels.