Newbie Shotgun Questions

LondonLuke

Normally they will have a chat go through your application speak to you about any concerns they have, check security some just do a visual look some try and rip it off the wall!

Be prepared for a long wait get as many lessons as you can between now and then, and get some nice biscuits in for the visit.

Also prime your referee to answer the phone when they call!

Ok this sounds reasonable. I am not keen on the long wait and typically my referee cannot answer during the day! Arghh!!

Do they meet me or call my referee first?

Do they check everyone's medical records? I have nothing to hide but (touch wood) not been to doctors for a while so hope they still have me registered!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks mate. I was very keen to do everything in the right order and was keen to go about it properly - wanted to test it out, then apply for licence, then buy gun before joining a small local club and ensuring I was up on accepted practice (only so much you can learn online or in a book) before then honing my clay skills and eventually moving onto pigeons etc.

I am aware that it's not a sport you can take up overnight and is a huge responsibility. Very few other sports could lead so easily to serious injury or death so I wanted to be comfortable in my ability and knowledge before going to the public domain.

I have been super lucky that Bakerboy took me under his wing and kindly showed me the ropes and it's certainly saved me a fortune - in an already expensive sport! - and I am very keen to take you up on your offer once I have a licence, gun, insurance etc

Thanks again, the generosity of this forum never fails to amaze!!

just let me know...have a few acres to go at.. :good:

When I got mine the 1st time I bought a new cabinet, bolted it down (took 3 attempts), sent my application off...and was crapping myself with paranoia that I'd be refused......

In the end I was visited by a Top Bloke who asked me a few questions about intended use and the overall security of my place.....and 2 weeks later my shiny new ticket dropped through the lettetbox.......

It's 5 yrs later and I've just gone through the renewal process, took 9 days.....Job Done!

Edited by squodged

One thing that I did that may help you was to read the shotgun codes of practice on the basc website. I was all ready for some challenging questions on gun safety and the FEO never mentioned it. All he asked was why I wanted a shotgun, looked at my cabinet and asked how much I drank along with some general chit chat an that was it, job done. Certificate arrived a couple of days later. :good:

Ok this sounds reasonable. I am not keen on the long wait and typically my referee cannot answer during the day! Arghh!!

Do they meet me or call my referee first?

Do they check everyone's medical records? I have nothing to hide but (touch wood) not been to doctors for a while so hope they still have me registered!!

In my experience they phone referees first, not heard of referees being met in person (have known of a referee not being contacted for a renewal)

Medical records checks can be dependant on force policy (some recent changes) or required if there is a reason to check them (I have no idea if mine were checked or not).

Any indicators of Drug/alcohol abuse will reflect badly, there was a story about FEO going through peoples recycling looking for empty booze bottles (I would suggest this more a glance at a full box near the door)

Just be polite and yourself. BASC has loads of good advice and some lessons at some local clay grounds will stand you in good stead for safe handling and procedure, never point a gun load or not at anything you don't want to kill, always keep gun open and empty until its your turn to shoot.

just around the Norwich area so if you are ever up this way or come up as not that far away from ya

Thats brilliant, thank you very much! Will certainly bear in mind!

Luke do you drive ? there are a few very friendly clay shoots near me in Surrey I can show you a cople ifyoud be interested ? some more informal than others but all really friendly

Thats really kind I do drive (my car is still in the garage at the moment though :() will PM you now :)

When I got mine the 1st time I bought a new cabinet, bolted it down (took 3 attempts), sent my application off...and was crapping myself with paranoia that I'd be refused......

In the end I was visited by a Top Bloke who asked me a few questions about intended use and the overall security of my place.....and 2 weeks later my shiny new ticket dropped through the lettetbox.......

It's 5 yrs later and I've just gone through the renewal process, took 9 days.....Job Done!

Thank you for this, I really hope my is as straight forward.

I am doing my level best to not get excited or begin buying anything in case it doesnt come together for whatever reason!!

Will be sure to let you know though!

One thing that I did that may help you was to read the shotgun codes of practice on the basc website. I was all ready for some challenging questions on gun safety and the FEO never mentioned it. All he asked was why I wanted a shotgun, looked at my cabinet and asked how much I drank along with some general chit chat an that was it, job done. Certificate arrived a couple of days later. :good:

Thanks mate, I went to the BASC website and requested the documents. I have read them cover to cover (trying to absorb as much as possible!) and perhaps should leave them somewhere obvious for the interview! (Providing my referee doesnt decide to wind me up by saying something stupid - what sort of thing do they ask?!)

In my experience they phone referees first, not heard of referees being met in person (have known of a referee not being contacted for a renewal)

Medical records checks can be dependant on force policy (some recent changes) or required if there is a reason to check them (I have no idea if mine were checked or not).

Any indicators of Drug/alcohol abuse will reflect badly, there was a story about FEO going through peoples recycling looking for empty booze bottles (I would suggest this more a glance at a full box near the door)

Just be polite and yourself. BASC has loads of good advice and some lessons at some local clay grounds will stand you in good stead for safe handling and procedure, never point a gun load or not at anything you don't want to kill, always keep gun open and empty until its your turn to shoot.

What sort of thing do they ask the referee? I am keen to understand exactly what they will be expecting!

I dont have any addictions like that, dont get me wrong I like a drink on a Friday but by no means dependent!

Thanks for the advice, fingers crossed all goes well.

What sort of thing do they ask the referee? I am keen to understand exactly what they will be expecting!

I dont have any addictions like that, dont get me wrong I like a drink on a Friday but by no means dependent!

Thanks for the advice, fingers crossed all goes well.

I have never been a referee but my missus has she says it was just confirming the info on the application form and how she knew them etc.

Lol. Long way to yet mate hang in there!

It is actually agonising.

My birthday is the middle of April and seems MILES away and yet I know I still wont have my licence by then.

I am in limbo, I'm keen to start buying the items I will need; glasses, overcoat, etc but dont want to get ahead of the game or tempt fate.

To coin a teenage phrase, it is actually doing my head in!

• 4 weeks later...

2nd hand gun cabinates can also be pricey.....try the "free ads" they are not allowed to advertise guns now but are allowed to advertise shooting goods....before you go and see them make sure you ask that they have 2 sets of keys and they are fitted with 5 lever locks.....

• 4 weeks later...

Well remembered! I have got myself a Lanber over under, I love it, I look at it, I clean it, I check it's ok in the safe.

I haven't got out as much as I had hoped as I can only clay shoot (no permissions) so much more difficult to have a cheaper day out. Am trying to get to the next flush in July and hopefully a few days out between now and then!

Awesome thread man, I'm in a pretty similar position you were in at that start of this thread. Really informative reading through it all, thanks for asking all those questions.

No worries. Glad it helped!

Lol that's what we do....

I am glad to hear it. Pretty sure gf thinks i am losing it