.177 pellet

demonwolf444

Ive been using some rather lightweight pointed pellets in .177. They group fine enough, but i know im not getting the best out of the power of my gun. Ive had a look around but dont know what has/ hasnt got the best reputation. Also some websites neglect to tell you the weight of the pellet which doesnt always help.

The air rifle is my XS78 running at around 11 ft/lbs.

So really im hoping someone with one of these can tell me what works well for them, any other tips, and where i can get some, and price.

I know these pellet questions are a bit annoying, but thanks in advance guys. :good:

I would try some domed pellets before thinking about weight too much. Pointed are not as accurate past 25 yards, at least in my experience/rifles.

Chairgun can give you different trajectories for different pellet weights if you don't want to buy loads of different tins to try.

Good luck!

I would try some domed pellets before thinking about weight too much. Pointed are not as accurate past 25 yards, at least in my experience/rifles.

Chairgun can give you different trajectories for different pellet weights if you don't want to buy loads of different tins to try.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply

OH yeh sorry! i forgot to mention im looking for domed pellets..

I used to always used to use domed, the nearest place to me that sells pellets is a tackle shop not a gun shop, its just easier to go there because its nearer, but he does have a much narrower range of pellets, and recently all he seems to have is pointed, i agree they do not group as well at all. So im looking to order some of the internet or something.

If someone who has an XS can tell me what works for them that would be great :)

I use Bisley Magnum pellets in all my .177 guns.A superbly accurate pellet that hits hard!I think they are 10gr.

thanks for the reply!

anyone else use these, having a look now! thanks :good:

I use Bisley Magnum pellets in all my .177 guns.A superbly accurate pellet that hits hard!I think they are 10gr.

Yes, very accurate in mine too but I found that they tend to over penetrate as they don't deform easily, plus as they are heavy the drop is about 1" more than with JSB/AA field (which I exclusively use now).

As said avoid pointed pellets and stick to domed for accuracy.

Edited by FalconFN

Yes, very accurate in mine too but I found that they tend to over penetrate as they don't deform easily, plus as they are heavy the drop is about 1" more than with JSB/AA field (which I exclusively use now).

As said avoid pointed pellets and stick to domed for accuracy.

Looking at reviews, they seem to prefere pcp guns, and a few have reports of a loopy trajectory, which may be a problem, as co2 fluctuations + a cold day could result in a fractionally lower power which might cause problems.

Anyone have any views on AA field, i hear allot of people using them but ive never used them personally?

:good:

Anyone have any views on AA field, I hear a lot of people using them but I've never used them personally? :good:

I used them all of last year for hunting and targets and to be honest I can't fault them.

That said I've just bought an Ultra that was blueprinted and the recommended pellet was the Bisley magnum, so, I've been trying them. I have to say that they are also a very accurate, consistent pellet which being a bit heavier (10.6 gr), should have very good stopping power. I don't think the drop is excessive in comparison, you just need to spend time on the range to work out your aim points.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Looking at reviews, they seem to prefere pcp guns, and a few have reports of a loopy trajectory, which may be a problem, as co2 fluctuations + a cold day could result in a fractionally lower power which might cause problems.

Anyone have any views on AA field, i hear allot of people using them but ive never used them personally?

Ah sorry mate,I didn't realise that your rifle is only producing 10ft/lbs therefore you would need a light/mediumweight pellet and not the heavyweight Bisley Mags.

ATB.

Ah sorry mate,I didn't realise that your rifle is only producing 10ft/lbs therefore you would need a light/mediumweight pellet and not the heavyweight Bisley Mags.

ATB.

AA Fields are an excellent pellet, but that doesn't mean they'll work well in your rifle.

PM me your address and I'll send you some to try, as well as some of the excellent JSB Heavy 10.4 grn.

I'm not normally a fan of heavier pellets, but the JSB Heavy works very well if you prefer weight to flat trajectory.

Ah sorry mate,I didn't realise that your rifle is only producing 10ft/lbs therefore you would need a light/mediumweight pellet

Its running at around 11.4 in the warm now ive had it appart * need to update my signature. I guess in the colder weather we have had recently it may be as low as ten. Co2 is a pig, wish i had a pcp, but it does the job alright.

The pointed pellets that i have been using of late are very light weight and fairly poor quality, however they have been good enough for some pigeon work, i merely think that for rabbits i should prefere a heavyer pellet maybee a medium weight pellet as you have suggested would be the avenue to go down, i think im going to try for some AA fields at a advertised 8.6grains? .

I just had a thought, I might not be allowed to post these to you - your profile says 16 years old.

And yes unfortunately although thankyou for being so keen to help!

The law is that i can only use it on on private property where i have permission yet am unable myself to legally posses the air rifle or pellets for said rifle.

thanks again guys!

Edited by demonwolf444