First Shotgun

hoggysreels

Firstly a hello to all !! ... I have been hovering around the forum looking in and picking up bits of information etc.

I'm at the stage were I have been shooting Clays with friends in North Yorkshire and North Wales and its a pastime I certainly wish to develop. I have applied for my Shotgun licence, bought a cabin and have had a visit by the Firearms officer. After he left my house he said that he would be back in approximately 3 weeks just to check the security of the cabinet mounting at a specified position in my house, so hopefully there shouldn't be a problem, but who knows ?

Like a kid awaiting Xmas I have been on the internet site that sell Shotguns and a couple of Gun Shops (North Wales Shooting School and Ellesmere Port Gunsmiths/shop, just window shopping)

I have asked for advice from those that have been shooting for a good few years, clays and rough shooting etc.

I'm like many on a tight budget and I'm going to attempt to source an O/U 12 bore with a single trigger, second hand, budget £250.

The one reoccurring make of gun that keeps being mentioned too me is a Baikal, I have been looking at them on various website and today was looking at one in the North Wales Shooting School. The gunsmiths in Ellesmere port said for the money and me wanting a single trigger gun, think Baikal ! .... The only thing and its probably me being ignorant is that I really like the looks, though have never used or owned either, but I really like the Lanber's and the Midland Gun Company offerings, though there doesn't appear to be that many for sale on my limited budget.

I've no problem getting a Baikal and will probably be happy owning it and using it, but they just appear to be a heavy thick set type of gun (probably better for being it !!) ... but if I had to pick one gun I really wouldn't mind the Lanber ...

Right wise gents of shooting ... a couple of questions, what's your take on the aforementioned guns bearing in mine the minuscule limited budget I'm having to adhere to? ... and secondly, I live on the Wirral and I am trying to find some suitable outlets that maybe worth me visiting. I have mentioned North Wales Shooting School/Ellesmere port Gunsmiths etc. I read on a thread on this forum there is a place in Ruthin N Wales worth looking at. I keep checking out Guntrader on the internet, but I was wondering if there are any places in North Wales/Cheshire/Merseyside/Lancs areas I could pay a visit. I'd rather buy from a gun shop so I could actually get the feel of the gun albeit not firing its, that said I may still end up using Guntrader or buying from a private seller.

Waffle over ... cheers Gents

Good look, midland stopped making guns many years ago but had some made in Italy with there name I sold one a couple of years ago around your budget so they are out there!

Fit is important but there should be a choice for your budget, Lincoln Rizzini FIAS sabbatti and others worth considering

Baikal are well made and most will outlive their 1st 2nd and 3rd owners! But not pretty!

Welcome to a great new hobby! :)

As has been said, Baikal's aren't that pretty, but can be very effective. I've got a single-barrel Baikal, choked as improved cylinder (a.k.a blunderbus lol!!) - useless on clays given it's single-shot, but robust on live shoots. Baikal do make a decent OU too.

Lanber - again, a decent gun. Got a multi-choke Sportser at the mo as one of mine, with a 28" Barrel. Good gun.

As well as a Beretta Silver Pigeon - but it cost me that much, I hate using it!!!

If you're just starting out, you don't want to faff about with multi-choke jobbies - that just masks any potential shooting difficulties and makes them harder to diagnose later on.

You want a nice fixed-choke OU, with 1/4 and 3/4. You'll do well with that.

And you need to get it in your shoulder to see what it feels like, and how "pointable" it is.

You sound relatively local - get up the M6 to the Standish turn-off, turn right at the motorway exit turn-off, turn left at the T-Junction, then follow the road round till you see a "pub" on your right called the Dog and Cartridge - as the name suggests, it's a gunsmiths. It's called McAvoy's, and they have a superb collection there. They're more than happy to get a Gun out for you to shoulder up. And will chip down on the ticket-price, and throw in a box of carts if you barter enough :)

You really won't go wrong with a Baikal, they are a solid, reliable no frills gun. They last, and last and last. They are not pretty but they are functional. Lamber are a decent gun too, get whichever you find the best deal on that you like best.

I wouldn't bother with guntrader too much as you'd be best going to a gun shop where they can help you find a gun that fits you properly, that't the most important thing to worry about. Choke and make aren't that important, finding something that fits and feels right is key.

There is a Lincoln 12 g for sale under private gun sales for £250. For that money you cannot go far wrong as Lincoln are good solid/well made guns.I do not know this particular gun/owner.....have in past owned a lincoln and thought it was a good gun. Baikals are a bit 'agricultural'. Go 'private guns for sale bit under the trading post it was for sale as at 31/1/2012 and £250 seems very good price to me.

ATB

Well what a really friendly informative bunch you guys are ! ... some forums are a bit conservative with the information and get a bit miffed about answering questions that undoubtedly would have been asked dozens of time before, so that's understandable really, anyhow cheers chaps for the help ... :good:

Yep as I expected the Baikal gets good vibes from all and to be honest I've no problems looking out for one. I would feel more content if I could actually have a hold prior to buying the gun just to be certain of fit/comfort etc

I've only ever fired a Webley & Scott .410 bolt action (35 years ago lol), a Winchester 12 bore OU and a Bettinsoli 12 bore OU both over the past 18 months on a few occasions. Of the Bettinsoli and Winchester the Bettinsoli felt the more comfortable fit, though I shot abysmal with both :blush:

Going by the Firearms officer I have about 2-3 weeks before he revisits and hopefully the licence is granted. So its not like I can realistically do anything till the licence is in my hand (that's assuming its granted ?) though he did say he was coming back to reassure himself the mounting of the cabinet was to his satisfaction, so hopefully it will be granted !

I'm going to have a jolly out in the car and tour a few Gun shops, will look around North Wales and pop up Lancs way, or if someone is selling one privately and its within a realistic distance for me to travel I will go and view. Mate who has got me into shooting and has kindly let me use his gun, intends on coming with me when I'm on the prowl looking for a secondhand gun, firstly to advise and secondly to hunt down an old cheap .410 for himself.

My intentions are that I initially go clay pigeon shooting, first too "attempt" at reaching a reasonable level of proficiency and later to take up some invites I have had offered to me, rough shooting and wild fowling.

Believe me I have read all the posts and taken in you're advice chaps. I just don't want to buy a secondhand gun for £300 and too find it needs another £150 spent on it to be safe and reliable, suppose that's the nature of buying anything secondhand really :hmm:

I'll keep an eye on the Private sales on the forum and if its within my price bracket and within a realistic travelling distance I will try and view a shotgun, when the licence arrives, fingers X .... cheers chaps

Bit of an unexpected development today !! ... guy that lives near to me who I knew shoots and I had previously mentioned that I would shortly be looking for a shotgun called round to mine with a S/H Franchi 12 bore OU single trigger gun.

Have known this guy a good few years and trust his judgement and integrity. I'm far from an expert and going by his judgement he said that the gun was a good starter gun, so I am going to buy it soon. He kindly said he will keep hold of it till I actually get my licence (hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks) ... going by my limited knowledge it looks and feels really nice, how it shoots will be for the future to find out, but he's a straight guy and I'm certain all will be okay. Got to say even I had heard of the make "Franchi" prior, so when the licence finally arrives and I'm all legal, I'm going to learn to shot in a proper safe manner, after all, that's what its all about me thinks ... :good:

Bit of an unexpected development today !! ... guy that lives near to me who I knew shoots and I had previously mentioned that I would shortly be looking for a shotgun called round to mine with a S/H Franchi 12 bore OU single trigger gun.

Have known this guy a good few years and trust his judgement and integrity. I'm far from an expert and going by his judgement he said that the gun was a good starter gun, so I am going to buy it soon. He kindly said he will keep hold of it till I actually get my licence (hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks) ... going by my limited knowledge it looks and feels really nice, how it shoots will be for the future to find out, but he's a straight guy and I'm certain all will be okay. Got to say even I had heard of the make "Franchi" prior, so when the licence finally arrives and I'm all legal, I'm going to learn to shot in a proper safe manner, after all, that's what its all about me thinks ... :good:

Good gun - you won't go wrong and you have the correct attitude.

I know a bit about most things and guns, but it is great to have someone with more knowledge to help and to guide.

That's why PW is so good - there are some very experienced / knowledgeable people on here that I can rely on, even if a question seems a bit daft :yes:

ATB :good:

Will get more info when I pay him tomorrow or the day after ... I'm stuck on 5 x 12hr shifts as of today :angry:

Its got plenty of signs of usage, but in the main seems good ... it breaks and locks similar to my mate gun and his is only 18 months old ... few minor scratches and very shallow dents to the stock, the most negetive part to the gun is a 8mmx30mm slither of wood had at sometime (probably dropped) off the fore grip ... its not detrimental in anyway and is cosmetically acceptable considering the price I got it for. I've been assured it shoots fine and he ganrantees me I will be well happy with it and I think he's right ... it's costing me £250 gun comes with a gun bag :rolleyes: