Big Bags on Rape

DoubleTap

Had a go at the pigeons earlier this week on the rape. Good weather conditions and what not, 1000+ pigeons in the area. Looked like it was set for a good day. Pushed them off first thing then set up. Pigeons came back throughout the day in small and big groups but no matter what, they would not decoy <_< There is about 1000 acres of rape in the area so they were just flying round and going from field to field as well which is always hard work. I've never shot over rape previously and have been told that it can be a real pain.

Can anyone enlighten me on what and what not to do when it comes to Rape?

Cheers, Tayler

big bags are not really the norm on winter rape, with the exception of a few 100 or 150 plus bags reported on here and other forums and mags, i think if you make 20 you have had a decent day.

it helps when there isn,t much rape in the area and a good amount of birds are using the rape you can shoot on and they haven,t been shot at, then if everything goes according to plan its down to how well you can shoot you might only get 50 birds come in range of you in the day but can still make a bag of 40.

You don't say whether you were using a rotary, they're an absolute must over Winter rape, put out 2 of them if you can carry them. :yes:

You also need to put rope bangers out on the surrounding fields, it's essential to keep the birds stirred up and on the move, otherwise they'll just all pile in to a quiet corner of an adjacent field and your shooting will dry up.

Cat.

Edited by Catamong

I have shot a fair few 100+ bags on winter rape, but they have normally come in March or April. I haven't bothered too much about shooting on the rape this year as there is far too much about and it has proved frustrating. I do expect to start shooting some decent bags on it in the next month or so, though.

It isn't always possible to flag off or put bangers on surrounding fields as you may not have permission.

Doubletap, you say you pushed all the birds off. What time did you arrive? Chances are the pigeons could have had quite a good feed by then and not needed to return too quickly. I prefer to be in the hide at first light, that's where i've had success in the past.

As above...30 birds would be the average...

Ive found in recent years that even with rotaries, wands, flappers, cannons, bangers, more guns, more rotaries, more decoys, and even many more pigeons...if they dont want to feed they wont and there is so much rape around ( 410,000 hectares in 2011 ) that pigeons will be up and gone somewhere else before you finish your first box of cartridges.

In fact there is so much rape, and so many breeding pigeons in the UK, Shooting is probably not an efficient way of controlling their numbers, but is still the best way of keeping them off arable foodstuffs.

Rape isnt a natural food for Pigeons, they prefer winter staples such as Mast, Ivy, and Acorn...this is why when you have good Autumn bounty such as this year, the rape will be left alone generally for most of the Winter unless it gets really cold.

Also you must remember pigeons are amongst the most intelligent, and wary birds and have incredible eyesight. Make sure your decoy patterns are as realistic as possible and ensure your hide is invisible and dont move too much. Ive no doubt that Pigeons have evolved even over the last 50 years to recognise dangerous situtations which look manmade which is why its important to have the most natural looking decoy pattern. I always put mine in a totally random pattern around the rotary if im using one, some say it should be horseshoe shape so the pigeons can land inside the shoe and make them easier to shoot, but ive never seen in 40 years of pigeon shooting a Horseshoe pattern of pigeons feeding in the wild. :no:

Best bit of advice I can give you for Winter Rape shooting is take a good cigar, a flask of coffee, and one of Whiskymac and a good pair of Bins.... you can bet your life that as soon as you put the gun down and either light up, have a sup or look around, 1/2 a dozen birds will float in and check out the decoys before flaring away again when you drop everything and stumble to your gun....If youre anything like me you will probably take a pop at the tail ender with the safety still on :lol: :lol:

As above...30 birds would be the average...

Ive found in recent years that even with rotaries, wands, flappers, cannons, bangers, more guns, more rotaries, more decoys, and even many more pigeons...if they dont want to feed they wont and there is so much rape around ( 410,000 hectares in 2011 ) that pigeons will be up and gone somewhere else before you finish your first box of cartridges.

In fact there is so much rape, and so many breeding pigeons in the UK, Shooting is probably not an efficient way of controlling their numbers, but is still the best way of keeping them off arable foodstuffs.

Rape isnt a natural food for Pigeons, they prefer winter staples such as Mast, Ivy, and Acorn...this is why when you have good Autumn bounty such as this year, the rape will be left alone generally for most of the Winter unless it gets really cold.

Also you must remember pigeons are amongst the most intelligent, and wary birds and have incredible eyesight. Make sure your decoy patterns are as realistic as possible and ensure your hide is invisible and dont move too much. Ive no doubt that Pigeons have evolved even over the last 50 years to recognise dangerous situtations which look manmade which is why its important to have the most natural looking decoy pattern. I always put mine in a totally random pattern around the rotary if im using one, some say it should be horseshoe shape so the pigeons can land inside the shoe and make them easier to shoot, but ive never seen in 40 years of pigeon shooting a Horseshoe pattern of pigeons feeding in the wild. :no:

Best bit of advice I can give you for Winter Rape shooting is take a good cigar, a flask of coffee, and one of Whiskymac and a good pair of Bins.... you can bet your life that as soon as you put the gun down and either light up, have a sup or look around, 1/2 a dozen birds will float in and check out the decoys before flaring away again when you drop everything and stumble to your gun....If youre anything like me you will probably take a pop at the tail ender with the safety still on :lol: :lol:

+1

I have shot a fair few 100+ bags on winter rape, but they have normally come in March or April. I haven't bothered too much about shooting on the rape this year as there is far too much about and it has proved frustrating. I do expect to start shooting some decent bags on it in the next month or so, though.

It isn't always possible to flag off or put bangers on surrounding fields as you may not have permission.

Doubletap, you say you pushed all the birds off. What time did you arrive? Chances are the pigeons could have had quite a good feed by then and not needed to return too quickly. I prefer to be in the hide at first light, that's where i've had success in the past.

We got there early morning. The pigeons were still sat in the trees when we arrived at the farm. We drove round the farm for about 20-30 minutes before setting up to decide where to go. By the time we'd chosen where to set up, the pigeopns were down onto the field. We pushed them off as we were setting up, around 8:00am.

As for the rotary/magnet. We didnt set one up due to us not having much confidence in them, but we've only ever used it on Barley, Wheat etc. so it probably would have worked on the day. We had one floater/bouncer set up on the edge of the decoy pattern which seemed to work. It would attract the birds closer to the decoys but they would not land so we were forced to shoot them flighting.

We finished the day with 10 woodies and 8 Crovids so I guess it wasn't a complete failure.

Cheers for the reply's lads, much appreciated :good:

We got there early morning. The pigeons were still sat in the trees when we arrived at the farm. We drove round the farm for about 20-30 minutes before setting up to decide where to go. By the time we'd chosen where to set up, the pigeopns were down onto the field. We pushed them off as we were setting up, around 8:00am.

As for the rotary/magnet. We didnt set one up due to us not having much confidence in them, but we've only ever used it on Barley, Wheat etc. so it probably would have worked on the day. We had one floater/bouncer set up on the edge of the decoy pattern which seemed to work. It would attract the birds closer to the decoys but they would not land so we were forced to shoot them flighting.

We finished the day with 10 woodies and 8 Crovids so I guess it wasn't a complete failure.

Cheers for the reply's lads, much appreciated :good:

I know exactly where i want to set up (dependant on wind etc) before i get to a field, so i am ready to start shooting at first light. This way (hopefully), the pigeons can come straight into your decoys when they enter the field. If they always go and sit in trees on the edge, consider setting up there perhaps.

I go about it differently. I dont start shooting untill about 9.30-10.00 and give the birds time to chose and settle on what field they want to feed on. I believe i made the mistake today of going too early and frightening the birds off before they had settled. I still managed 30 but i reckon if i hadnt been such an eager beaver i would of shot more. The weather didnt help today though.

Cheers

Ben

I go about it differently. I dont start shooting untill about 9.30-10.00 and give the birds time to chose and settle on what field they want to feed on. I believe i made the mistake today of going too early and frightening the birds off before they had settled. I still managed 30 but i reckon if i hadnt been such an eager beaver i would of shot more. The weather didnt help today though.

Cheers

Ben

I'll bet had you have been there at first light, you'd have had a lot more than 30.

If you're shooting over Winter rape at this time of year the first hour of daylight is usually the best, provided, (like Motty), you've done your homework by having a good recce the day before and working out the best place to put the hide.

It's different at other times of year, when there's a lot more daylight, they can pick and choose their feeding times, but not at this time of year.

Cat.

I'll bet had you have been there at first light, you'd have had a lot more than 30.

If you're shooting over Winter rape at this time of year the first hour of daylight is usually the best, provided, (like Motty), you've done your homework by having a good recce the day before and working out the best place to put the hide.

It's different at other times of year, when there's a lot more daylight, they can pick and choose their feeding times, but not at this time of year.

Cat.

I was there at first light today mate. Ive been watching these fields for the last 2 months. Only got the go ahead yesterday

Cheers

Ben

ive also thought getting in the hide for first light was the way to go, im now starting to go a bit later let the birds feed for a bit. i think if you shoot first light the birds are still realy hungery and will go further a field to get food, also at first light no field bangers will be going off to bounce the birds about for a hour or two just your shotgun so maybe this put bids off at first light :hmm: