Best time to approach a farm owner?

marnold

Hi Guys,

So, I have spent all weekend driving around the area, finding farms and potential landowners and even created a detailed route plan to get to these locations in the most efficient manner (way too much time on my hands!). I have printed out my references, shooting cards and got my insurance certificate to take along, in the hope that I can find more permissions to add to my current (small!) portfolio - all of which has come about through friends of family/friends of friends.

Now comes the question, sorry if it has been asked before, I did a search of the forum but couldn't find the answer.

What is the best time to approach the farm to ask for the landowner and present my case? I know that farmers work hard all day and the last thing I want is to call at an inconvenient time i.e. when they are having their tea and a.) bother the landowner b.) dash my chanches of getting some permissions.

Can anyone offer any advice on a time that usually seems to be more fruitful for them?

Thanks in advance :good:

marnold

Edited by marnold

I don't like anyone coming to the farm at anytime.... :lol:

If its a dairy farm, they tend to be very busy milking first thing, then have breakfast...breakfast time is a definate no go.

My Dad in Law (RIP) whom's farm we now live on, wouldn't entertain anyone at lunchtimes either.

If its arable, now is quite a good time, its not the busiest of times, maybe go onto the farm, and just ask if its a good time to speak...obviously if there is a tractor turned over and they are trying to right it, leave them be.

A general rule I would give, is to try and catch them 'at work' rather than in the house.

I don't like anyone coming to the farm at anytime.... :lol:

If its a dairy farm, they tend to be very busy milking first thing, then have breakfast...breakfast time is a definate no go.

My Dad in Law (RIP) whom's farm we now live on, wouldn't entertain anyone at lunchtimes either.

If its arable, now is quite a good time, its not the busiest of times, maybe go onto the farm, and just ask if its a good time to speak...obviously if there is a tractor turned over and they are trying to right it, leave them be.

A general rule I would give, is to try and catch them 'at work' rather than in the house.

Thanks for the reply. It has made me a bit more nervous about asking now :o :lol:

Sorry about your father in law.

If you don't mind me asking, how is the best way of trying to catch the farmer at work please? The farms I have sourced are rather vast and the country lanes around them only take you along the edge of the land - I can't figure out how to actually 'find the farmer' as it were. I know that I can't/I wouldn't just go wandering around his land to find him. Is there a way I can improve my odds of finding him?

Sorry if it is a dumb question, and thanks for the reply so far, it is greatly appreciated :good:

Try the farm yard, if there are any staff there ask them when you might be able to catch the land owner, or try ringing and ask if you could have 10 minutes of his/her time at their convenience.

Don't be nervous, but do be ready to be rebuffed, we get many a letter a week, and visits asking for permissions, especially at this time, as the pigeon shooting is just about to kick off as such.

Have a look at some fields, and if you see any getting hammered by pigeon, mention that you've seen a field getting battered, and ask if they'd like you to shoot it for them...good way of getting a foot in the door.

Take any insurance documents with you too.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of a late reply I realise, however, I have just been granted permission on 300 acres.

I knew who the right chap was and happened upon him in the pub while he was drinking with his brother and a mate. The brother had already refused me but I pounced on them both, putting my case forward.

The usual answer came " I'll get back to you"

wonder of wonders I got the phone call and here we go.

I maintained a polite cautious but confident manner and it paid off.

hope your hard work pays off.

atb

HB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

So, I have spent all weekend driving around the area, finding farms and potential landowners and even created a detailed route plan to get to these locations in the most efficient manner (way too much time on my hands!). I have printed out my references, shooting cards and got my insurance certificate to take along, in the hope that I can find more permissions to add to my current (small!) portfolio - all of which has come about through friends of family/friends of friends.

Now comes the question, sorry if it has been asked before, I did a search of the forum but couldn't find the answer.

What is the best time to approach the farm to ask for the landowner and present my case? I know that farmers work hard all day and the last thing I want is to call at an inconvenient time i.e. when they are having their tea and a.) bother the landowner b.) dash my chanches of getting some permissions.

Can anyone offer any advice on a time that usually seems to be more fruitful for them?

Thanks in advance :good:

marnold

It is a difficult one to get right, I shoot on a lot of local farms, but I have lived here all my life and know the farmers. There is one big farm right in the middle of them and I can’t get on there on a regular basis and guess what! It all ways has birds on it, but they are not very keen on letting me go. I did shoot on one bit when the birds found some rape poking through the snow.

One farmer did say to me when he was signing a perm for me to use the rifle on his farm, “I like the fact you come during the week and shoot, as people always come around weekends and bother me”

A bit of advice I was given, if you see the birds hitting their crops, go and ask if you can shoot just for one day. And if you can make a good bag then you might be in with a chance.

Farmers can be very fickle! The ones I deal with just leave me to get on with it and never call me.

There is a lot of contract farming these days which can make it confusing as to who can shoot or not. However they have their profit to protect so that might me an angle to pursue…..

TEH

My permissions have always been asked at the end of the day. the first farmer i got permission off told me to come and see him just before dark in the yard. as this is when they finish for the day. went to other farms at this time, as there putting machines away and that way your not disturbing there working day. hope this helps