Newbie Advice please (CZ452)

Tim_D

Hi there,

I'm new to this Forum and after a few weeks of reading have decided it is time to ask a question or two.

I'm in the process of applying for my license and have my permissions sorted out as well as a Safe installed with the required bolts and separate ammo store.

I'm considering (should I be successful with my application) a CZ452 standard .22 with subsonic, expanding ammunition. The reason for the subsonic is so that I do not disturb horses that are in nearby fields that get spooked when people shoot.

I have been going down the CZ452 route as it was recommended to me by a local dealer and I have no more than about £300 to spend. From searching the net it seems to be a good choice for value.

Would anybody like to recommend any other Rifles similar to this and can you offer any advice on the Police visit? - for example will they want a security alarm on the house or 5 lever locks on the doors?

I plan to shoot using my 3-9 x 50 scope in the evenings into dusk and occasionally at night with a lamp. I will be shooting Pigeons, Rabbits, and hopefully the odd Fox when they come too close to my chickens!

Thanks for your advice and hello to everyone, this seems like an interesting Forum.

Tim

(Bedfordshire)

Hi there, sounds like you're looking for the right sort of combo to start out. beds police were really good when my brother applied very fast turnround of his application and very informative, Unlike Herts police who took 16 weeks over mine and that was with them being pushed!

Hi there,

I'm new to this Forum and after a few weeks of reading have decided it is time to ask a question or two.

I'm in the process of applying for my license and have my permissions sorted out as well as a Safe installed with the required bolts and separate ammo store.

I'm considering (should I be successful with my application) a CZ452 standard .22 with subsonic, expanding ammunition. The reason for the subsonic is so that I do not disturb horses that are in nearby fields that get spooked when people shoot.

I have been going down the CZ452 route as it was recommended to me by a local dealer and I have no more than about £300 to spend. From searching the net it seems to be a good choice for value.

Would anybody like to recommend any other Rifles similar to this and can you offer any advice on the Police visit? - for example will they want a security alarm on the house or 5 lever locks on the doors?

I plan to shoot using my 3-9 x 50 scope in the evenings into dusk and occasionally at night with a lamp. I will be shooting Pigeons, Rabbits, and hopefully the odd Fox when they come too close to my chickens!

Thanks for your advice and hello to everyone, this seems like an interesting Forum.

Tim

(Bedfordshire)

You dont want to be saying that you will be shooting pigeons unless they are on the ground. also dont go saying that you will be shooting fox's with the rimmy either, & (again) don't say that you will be using it on fox's in your garden. Would your garden pass a land check for a .22 rim ?.

Stick to saying that you will be shooting Rabbits for now on the land you have the rights to.

PELT MAN

The American over the Standard every time! Much lighter, for one thing. My mate who has a Standard says that because the American has a shorter barrel, you lose accuracy over longish distances. Cobras. I can knock over bunnies quite easily at 90 yards, and I don't want to shoot at any longer distance than that.

I know that this is raking over old coals, but I'm not sure that a 22 rimmy is the right tool for foxes. Legal I'm sure, but in my view too much chance of a non-clean kill, particularly in the hands of a novice (with no disrespect to novices, we were all there once).

Hi all and thanks for the fantastic responses.

Some very useful info for me. To pick up on a couple of things..

The ground I have permission for is directly backing onto my garden - that and the other Farmers fields next to that so I don't have to go far - There is only one fence and (technically!!) there should be two with a 5 foot gap. The 5 foot that appears to be in 'my' garden does not belong to me and is the land I have permission for! So I guess stepping up to the fence and taking a shot into the field is not out of the question..?!

Anyway, that aside, I will take you advice on what not to say! I was told by the gun dealer that I could shoot foxes with this calibre, providing I had the right shot and he would show me pictures of when not to shoot... perhaps a little enthusiastic hey.. Rabbits and Pigeons are my prime target as there are loads around and my airgun has done some good work but I cannot often get close enough (the airgun was my Grandfathers and he used it in WW2 to feed the family so is a little 'dated') I shoot about 3 pigeons a week with this but at 25 yards or so, generally when they land in the field a little too close!

Something I was also told about 'background checks' was only shoot if you have a solid background or open sky... the last bit then might not be so wise then given that you advise only telling Mr Plod that you shoot at Pigeons on the ground??

Thanks again for your advise guys, much appreciated. Cheers.

Tim

Thanks again - Great pics! :lol:

Well, I'm a little unsure as to whether to go American or Standard = But as I understand it, I'm not allowed to handle one in the shop until I have the ticket for one... shame... and then my local dealer who I want to support (as he has given me hours of time and so much advice) has to order them in, so I can't really try the stock out before I buy. Double whammy! :)

Anyway, they both look far better than my old air rifle... at least I'll be able to take shots at 50 yards rather than 25 = and wow, the scopes that are available these days at such good prices! Things have moved on a bit. I bought this 3-9 x 50 IR and it's unbelievably clear at dusk - normally the first thing that stops my shooting is not being able to see the iron foresight!

Thanks again for your advice -

Tim

By the way, waht's a SAK mod elowarr???

Oh and (another) thing... :) why do people have the barrell shortened? Surely this reduces the accuracy? Is it a weight / handling thing?

Cheers

It's a moderator (fancy name for a silencer) and SAK is the make, this one has 17hmr stamped on it so i can use it on a 17 when I get one ((looks like this weekend just had a call letting me know theres a second hand one in only 2mths old just come in :):lol: )).

CZ 17hmr Varmint £160 AVE IT!!! :)

Oh and (another) thing... :) why do people have the barrell shortened? Surely this reduces the accuracy? Is it a weight / handling thing?

Cheers

The reason for shortening a barrel is so that it isn’t as long as a “Barge-pole†when you put a moderator on the end of it.

A .22rf burns its powder charge in the first 16inches of the barrel and as such doesn’t actually need a 24inch barrel, which is only a residual thing from when we all used open sights and the longer barrel gave a longer sight radius.

A 16inch barrel is just as accurate (and in some cases more so) than a 24inch barrel, so don’t worry as you will probably fit a moderator on it at some time in the future, at which time you will probably wish you had that shorter barrel.

G.M.

The reason for shortening a barrel is so that it isn’t as long as a “Barge-pole†when you put a moderator on the end of it.

A .22rf burns its powder charge in the first 16inches of the barrel and as such doesn’t actually need a 24inch barrel, which is only a residual thing from when we all used open sights and the longer barrel gave a longer sight radius.

A 16inch barrel is just as accurate (and in some cases more so) than a 24inch barrel, so don’t worry as you will probably fit a moderator on it at some time in the future, at which time you will probably wish you had that shorter barrel.

G.M.

Ah right - thanks G.M. well I will be fitting a silencer / moderator as there are horses in nearby fields that get spooked when people shoot. Same reason I'd like to use subsonic ammunition.

So this might be why the American is available in 16" and 20" barrel I guess...

Tim

Well, I'm a little unsure as to whether to go American or Standard = But as I understand it, I'm not allowed to handle one in the shop until I have the ticket for one... shame... and then my local dealer who I want to support (as he has given me hours of time and so much advice) has to order them in, so I can't really try the stock out before I buy. Double whammy! :)

Tim,

You can handle one as much as you like, you can't own one until you have your ticket.

If a shop doesn't let you try the stock out for size for instance - I would find another shop

Well, I'm a little unsure as to whether to go American or Standard = But as I understand it, I'm not allowed to handle one in the shop until I have the ticket for one... shame... and then my local dealer who I want to support (as he has given me hours of time and so much advice) has to order them in, so I can't really try the stock out before I buy. Double whammy! :good:

Tim,

You can handle one as much as you like, you can't own one until you have your ticket.

If a shop doesn't let you try the stock out for size for instance - I would find another shop

Oh right ok - will keep that in mind. Thanks for the info.