Hull Super Fast

Sandbank

Scores a bit rubbish at the moment (usual excuses, arthritis, cold weather etc.) so decided to get some cheap cartridges and preserve my Eley Superbs until the Spring.

Spotted some supposedly ‘limited edition’ Hull Super Fast, not sure how limited they are as most outlets are pushing them at the moment. However at around £50 per 1000 less than I usually pay certainly thought worth a try.

Bit of a quirky shell, casing is closer to 2⅔ than 2½ (quoted 67mm.) and load is 27gm. Claimed speed of 1500 fps. I got the 7½ plastic wad version, I think they also do fibre.

Fair old thump, even through my Beretta A300 Outlander which definitely prefers a lively load. Pattern much the same as the Superbs through Teague ½ choke. They definitely have long legs, got some nice breaks with some quite distant going away birds.

Bit on the dirty side though, bit more cleaning required than my usual Eleys though nothing like as bad as Saga game loads for example. I may get some more just in case they are of limited supply.

I think a lot of people do the same as me, and just view all new posts to the forum and then read any that look interesting.

There are some hidden gems and good surprises :lol:

If nothing else, keep an eye on the ammo section for discussion on different clay cartridges etc.

They are of limited supply. I hear on good authority it is just an exercise to use up some components that are being discontinued.

You really have to ask yourself how are they making a speed comparable shell to a Pro one at 50 quid a thou less. Load it hot, drop a gram of lead and use cheap components that would be chucked out anyway. When a supplier tells you to look at something else instead as they kick like a mule it tells you something :no:

I think that Hull have got a bloody cheek.

THEY are the cartridge manufacturer that have always been first to increase their prices. Then the others follow suit.

For them to then start loading 'specials' and saying 'here you go we'll give you a bargain for a few weeks' absolutely stinks.

Unfortunately with money being as tight as it is and shooting being so addictive we have little choice but to buy them.

Perhaps we should all boycott Hull Cartridge company for one or two months and hit them in the pocket for a change.

Ladds of Crediton Nobelsport are a brilliant cartridge at a very good price.

This whole cartridge sales business Sucks.

Perhaps we should all boycott Hull Cartridge company for one or two months and hit them in the pocket for a change.

Ladds of Crediton Nobelsport are a brilliant cartridge at a very good price.

This whole cartridge sales business Sucks.

Totally agree, Gamebore and Express are no better, none appear in the least concerned with losing customers. I stopped buying Express years ago, and quite frankly can't see who can even afford Hull's top end regularly. If only there was a way of organised mass refusal to buy their stuff then maybe they'd start competing.

Fully agree with Salopian & Hamster :yes:

The costs these days are making it hard for ordinary working lads to justify :oops:

The nearest 100 reg'd sporting shoot to me is just short of 100 miles each way,the numbers make your eyes water :oops:

Entry fee £34.00

Cartridges £20+

Fuel £40 ish

Food/Drink £6.00

I've heard rumours that shells are on the way up again,just in time for the clay season as they do every year :rolleyes:

Personally i've had enough of it,I aren't paying what is in effect £1.00 per clay :no:

Looks like a return to Strawbalers for me :good::good:

Azzurri

Azzurri,

I could not agree more, went to my local ground on Sunday first time for a year. Entries are way down, and one of the regulars there said it was possibly his last shoot for a while due to lack of money. He noted how dear it was to compete now with fuel, entry & cartridge prices. It is no good someone coming on and saying we have had it good for years. Cartridges DO NOT cost as much to produce as the increase in prices seem to reflect. The cartridge companies are being too greedy. It will kill the sport eventually for the working bloke.

What they don't seem to realise is that if they produced a budget priced cartridge in let's say 21 gram it would allow Joe Public to shoot. Help the grass roots shooter.

Azzurri,

I could not agree more, went to my local ground on Sunday first time for a year. Entries are way down, and one of the regulars there said it was possibly his last shoot for a while due to lack of money. He noted how dear it was to compete now with fuel, entry & cartridge prices. It is no good someone coming on and saying we have had it good for years. Cartridges DO NOT cost as much to produce as the increase in prices seem to reflect. The cartridge companies are being too greedy. It will kill the sport eventually for the working bloke.

What they don't seem to realise is that if they produced a budget priced cartridge in let's say 21 gram it would allow Joe Public to shoot. Help the grass roots shooter.

I thought 21g steel was supposed to be big savings......but at less than £20 a thousand cheaper than lead it doesn't make much difference!

Can people see sporting coming down to 30-50 birds rather than 60-100?

Edited by HDAV

Limited edition?

I tend to view that as a way to get rid of something or charge more, just basic marketing BS!

The price of cartridges is far too high in my opinion. I always buy the cheapest carts I can, sometimes the lightest weight as well to keep the costs down, it's an expensive hobby.

Steel doesn't seem that much cheaper than lead as HDAV points out. Not only that, not all guns or shoots can be use steel.

Used these Tuesday at Greenfields all i can say its a very punchy cartridge and not for me... however my mate loved them. Talking to somebody that works there theres only a 100,000 left in the country and he's having 5k of them. at 160 quid a thousand these are in "budget" cartridge category. Why have they gone to 27g to save money or get the speed up?

Bearing in mind previous comments regarding the reinvention of the wheel please ignore me if you've noticed this already!

'hitclays' has an interesting post in the Clay Pigeon Shooting forum regarding cartridge pricing and you might like to drop him a line as he's, apparently, going to be able to offer some more than fair prices.

I shoot with him regularly and haven't yet had to pay over £150 per 1000 for 28g, plastic wad, 7.5 shot Claybusters but he also has access to other manufacturers.

Hope that this helps... :blush: