nissan navara...any good?

Robby22

I've got the newer shape, "D40". Bought it new and its been pretty reliable, only issue has been repeated flat battery courtesy of a duff electric seat switch, which the useless dealership wasn't half of one percent interested in. So I fixed it!

There's a safety recall on them at the mo with alloy wheel rims cracking, and mine is having new wheels in the non too distant, ( thanks Nissan!). The standard "road" tyres are simply hopeless, and I put AT2's on, and they have transformed it on and off road - though its no disco - but it depends what you want and need....

What passes for paint on the underside (IMHO) isn't - its just black gunge which falls off if you look at it, the steel underneath seems OK, and waxoyl seems to hold...! weird...

MPG wise I get 32 if I drive it carefully AND service it properly. Mucky air filters drag the MPG down to 29. Driving it like a fool can get the MPG down to 18 frighteningly easily.

I've heard stories of engines blowing, and I also hear that the clutches are pretty poor, but mine will never need one of those!! Also have a few pals with them, and none of them have had probs... (yet!!). ( I know the previous model, D32?, has a reputation for engine issues, but I would guess that they've more or less all be rebuilt by now??)

I think the toyota is a better bus TBH, but I'm too flippin tall - can't see out!!!

feel free to ask away

ATB

Sim

http://www.nissan-navara.net/index.php

Everything you need to know on there.

My d22 engine blew at 60k as they are prone to, if you can find one thats had all the modifications done i.e a rebuild using the upgraded shells, big end bolts, oil pump etc etc it might be worth a shot if it is cheap enough and has a full service history. IMO Dont touch the d22 if it hasnt had the mods done.

Regards

I have a 58 plate d40 and do 600-800 miles a week in it,has all the luxury you could wish for and returns me 31-32 mpg,it has the wrangler tyres on it,and they get me round fields on the weekend,and have pulled me up some rough tracks in the brecons when working,the only problem I have is the electric turbo actuator valve is making a noise when the engine is shut off,but my garage is fixing it under warranty.

The paint is not the thickest in the world,and I would recommend checking your oil regularly,I havnt had any problems but some navaras seem to go through the oil.

I think for all the toys on board and the comftable drive it's a great vehicle,if you want to use it seriously off road get some grabbers on it,with the mileage I do I'm happy with the wranglers.

If you go looking,try to get one without a towbar,then it won't have had the clutch ragged,and lookout for special editions,mine is the expedition model,so it has 2.5k of extras thrown in.and decide if you want a canopy or not,to buy one will cost you a minimum of 1k,so better to have it on there when you buy.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought a new one after my L200.

It is far more refined than the L200 and does everything the L200 did for me.

It was a toss up between the Hi-Lux and the Navara - I know popular opinion will say buy a Hi-Lux... I have said it myself! But I bought mine on the recommendation of a friend who does 30 - 40K miles per year and is on his second D40 and another contact who does a similar mileage and recently changed from Navara to Hi-Lux, and preferred the Navara.

I've only had mine 6 weeks so time will tell but so far I'm pleased with it.

I am waiting on my brand new Tekna with connect pack being delivered :yahoo: Hopefully will be here by the end of the month and once it arrives I will let you know what I think of it!

One thing that concerns me is that NO ONE has a good word to say about Nissans customer after care which I find a bit of a worry as with my Wifes new Honda any slight problem and Honda just fixed it with no questions asked!! Slight corrosion on 2 alloy wheels and they replaced all 4 no problem, excessive front disc wear meant discs and pads replaced no problem!! They couldnt have been better but everyone on the navara net forum seem to complain that Nissan stall to approve any repair/warranty claim! If this happens with mine I can see me and nissan falling out lol