To V-mach or Not

Davy T

I've fitted a Vortek kit on my 97 and this makes a massive difference, to be honest it's not as good as my Dave Hall tuned one but then again it hasn't had the outside of the comp tube buttoned. I've ordered one of these from India that I presume will do the job, but I'll have to wait and see. he has taken down the 97 kit but there were ones for most of the hw range if you scroll down to the bottom http://target-tune.in/international/products/HW30-Piston.html

Edited by durbsguy

Why try to improve? If you are talking about the old HW95 they are smooth as silk, powerful as you want and accurate as a very accurate accurate thing! Well the wife's is anyway and she has the notorious .177 that is supposed to kick. Hers has been chronoed at 11.3 foot pound and is superbly accurate, out of the box!

Edited by secretagentmole

Hi,

I have been thinking about having my HW95K done with a V-mach kit (diy job).....However i have been told it's not worth the money doing it,

Is this correct??? , has anyone had their gun done ??? ....Any input is most welcome ......

Davy

What do you want to do with it?

It is obvious that anything that makes a rifle easier/smoother and brings more repeatable results is worthwhile, but what % improvement is deemed sensible at what cost is always debatable.

At the end of the day you still have no more than 12ft lb whatever remember!

I did my HW97k last year and it does make a big difference. The main improvement is less recoil. The V-mach spring is shorter than the original, but still delivers. Its also a good exercise to dismantle your gun, degrease it and give everything a good polish. As previously mentioned, you do need access to a chrono as its very easy to exceed the limit initially, as well as the power creeping up as everything beds in. I would really recommend doing it. Mart

I had the full lazerglide done by Steve pope when it was Venom on my 80. His dad was the HW tuning king way back when steve was but a kid. No man knows more about tuning HW springers on earth. Is the kit worth it? don't know but the full conversion certainly is and he is very helpfull on the aftersales (keeper friend borrowed mine on extended loan and totally narfed it up) I would never sell the gun it cocks so easy you could do it all day with your little finger is unbelievably consistant over the chrono, quiet and very much bang up there on power levels. His new piston head is even more efficient now than when mine was first done and he had no issues offering a free spring conversion if required for P+P as it is i did it myself

It's a ******* air rifle, and whilst many are very sweet and very capable you have 12ft lb to work with, end of.

An HW95K ISN'T a target rifle, and whilst any improvement can be considered worthwhile there is a trade off of cost/return.

If you want a target tool then buy another rifle, if you want something for the field then just get out and use it or look to FAC!

:hmm::yes::good:

It's a ******* air rifle, and whilst many are very sweet and very capable you have 12ft lb to work with, end of.

An HW95K ISN'T a target rifle, and whilst any improvement can be considered worthwhile there is a trade off of cost/return.

If you want a target tool then buy another rifle, if you want something for the field then just get out and use it or look to FAC!

:hmm::yes::good:

Some derive great please from them and appriciate the low power as a plus not a negative :rolleyes:

I v-mached my Air Arms TX200HC. Worth the pennies. However follow the others advice and purchase a chrono. I had to space mine out with washers as it came in at a touch over 8ft/lbs with no washers. Sure it felt smoother than butter and performed... however with the power down like that it doesn't seem right. Back at a tad under 12ft/lbs there is still a noticeable difference but I'm keeping my eye that it doesn't creep over!

It's also a great way to get to know the inners of your gun for further servicing down the line!

Good luck :)

I v-mached my Air Arms TX200HC. Worth the pennies. However follow the others advice and purchase a chrono. I had to space mine out with washers as it came in at a touch over 8ft/lbs with no washers. Sure it felt smoother than butter and performed... however with the power down like that it doesn't seem right. Back at a tad under 12ft/lbs there is still a noticeable difference but I'm keeping my eye that it doesn't creep over!

It's also a great way to get to know the inners of your gun for further servicing down the line!

Good luck :)

got a hw80 done by steve pope,it's awsome! the transformation from the factory 80 i could just not believe!! couple of friends bought theoben's around the same time, boy were they gutted!!!

just don't seem to use it these days though.. :/

Hi Guys......

Cheers for the advice....some varied responses and i can see where some of them are going. I like the gun as it is ,however i just want to make it as good as it will get. I am in the process of getting another .22 rimfire ...just waiting on the right one turning up !!! but i also need my air rifle . Don't see whats wrong with getting the best out of it...so will have another look at what kits there is and get it sorted asap ... cheers Davy