Custom and practice

Wriggler

A collegue of mine is going infront of the manager to get a warning for breach of terms and conditions of his contract.

He went for a coffee and a smoke outside of normal break times although he and others have always done this.

The line where I work were all taken into the canteen and told that smoking breaks and getting a coffee whenever (we are still allowed to smoke/ drink coffee during allocated break times) are to be stopped immediately.

These practices have been going on for years and some people including our manager and other line leaders in the same factory still go for these breaks as and when they want.

My understanding is that as these practices have been going on for a number of years they become accepted practice and perhaps implied conditions in the contract.

Also, only a small area of one factory have had this perk removed whereas another factory, same company - same site, still have this perk.

I have looked around on the internet but it all gets very confusing and it's years since I had any first hand experience.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Looking at it from an employers point of view, is this guy in your line taking the p***? That's the reaction I would expect to be given to someone who pushes their luck.... I may be wrong of course?

No more than others.

All the smokers go out roughly the same amount of times throughtout the day.

Is he a know trouble maker / big mouth as far a management is concerned ? Are they trying to build a case against hime for dismissal ?

It does sound unfair, but unfortunately for your mate if you had all just been warned not to do it and he got caught, he may just be the example to make the rest of you fall into line.

Hope it works out

No more than others.

All the smokers go out roughly the same amount of times throughtout the day.

Thats the point isnt it....... all the smokers. Try and work out the time they are missing from work from the minute they leave the line til the minute they return then look at it from a none smokers point of view. You'll find it astonishing across a year ho much work they are dodging which means the others have to do more.......... Quite honestly think smokers take the mickey on this point

Thats the point isnt it....... all the smokers. Try and work out the time they are missing from work from the minute they leave the line til the minute they return then look at it from a none smokers point of view. You'll find it astonishing across a year ho much work they are dodging which means the others have to do more.......... Quite honestly think smokers take the mickey on this point

spot on ,how true.