DIY MAGNET

Hi all, I have made pigeon magnet this week which is turning out really well.

The only thing I need to do now is bend the ends of the arms, however as I do not have access to another magenet I don't know how long the arms should be.

Mine are 2m long each.

Could someone let me know how long they need to be and how long the bends at the end are where you need to inset into the vent ?

Also the plastic decoys for them, vary in price a lot. Are the plastic ones by sportplast any good as they are £20 a pair on e-bay. My local gunshop want £20 each and I have seen them on the net for up to £40 each !

Any advice greatly accepted. :lol:

On the subject of homemade magnets (i'll try and post up some pics of my one soon), im giving a car battery ago for my diy magnet until i have some spare cash for a proper one.

I'd be grateful if you guys could tell me how long this battery would run a motor which draws about 2Ah :lol::lol: :

8f241a08.jpg

Ow yeh, the arms on my magnet i've made about 1.5m each,

Cheers

SS

About 22 hours running time working from what it says about its reserve running time.

If it has an amp hour (Ah) rating then just divide that by your current 2amps to give you the time. So a 20Ah battery would last 10 hours.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Im no expert, but if i made a magnet, i would try with some really long arms for the magnet.

The longer, the better.. I mean its more natural for a pigeon to fly in a bigger circle than a small circle.

Try and improve the magnet.. im sure it will work better.

Im no expert, but if i made a magnet, i would try with some really long arms for the magnet.

The longer, the better.. I mean its more natural for a pigeon to fly in a bigger circle than a small circle.

As the old saying goes leave what works alone! :good::good:

Bud.......don't buy plastic one's, instead use some dead one's in the best condition that you can, when you finish shooting, look through the dead one's again and keep the best pair. Spread their wings and choose the one's that have the most white on, but obviously not if it's missing it's head, or covered in blood, guts etc. :good::good:

I have been using my DIY magnet now for years with great success, the arms are both 7 foot long and made of spring steel, useing dead birds they bounce and swoop very well. :good:

What where the dimensions of the sprung steel lanber? and where did you source it?

Cheers

SS

i had a magnet with long arms and when on the peas they used to bounce and get caught in the peas, sold it and bought one with shorter arms.

i had a magnet with long arms and when on the peas they used to bounce and get caught in the peas, sold it and bought one with shorter arms.

Hehe, well im not talking about 10 meter arms on the magnet, but maybe 3 meters or somthing.

and this guy is making heas own magnet, and if he uses longer arms, then some stiffer or more solid arms would be the best. Then you dont get that much bounceing.

Hi from NZ where I've just started to chase pigeons.

A real dumb question probably, but on the Tip N Tricks section item 16 is an article on using a wiper motor to make a single armed magnet. Is the arm meant to revolve 360 or just move the deke in an erratic manner?

Why I ask is on account of the comment regarding placing the "figure 7" opposite the deke to "help balance the machine out"?

Any advice on this and plans for homemade pigeon magnets appreciated.

A real dumb question probably, but on the Tip N Tricks section item 16 is an article on using a wiper motor to make a single armed magnet. Is the arm meant to revolve 360 or just move the deke in an erratic manner?

Why I ask is on account of the comment regarding placing the "figure 7" opposite the deke to "help balance the machine out"?

Doug

I have plans for a magnet if you would like a copy send me your E-Mail address and i will forward them to you.

A homemade one

pigeonmagnet2005003.jpg

Jonno

Adding a cam and having them swoop might be nice?