cleaning .17 hmr

shoot31

Clean mine often, almost every time with no issues zeroing it. :good: Don't clean the .22 much though

:yes::yes::good::good:

Clean it properly and at WORST it takes 1-2 shots to get back 100% zero, and that is nothing to do with lining the barrel, it is simply to clear any cleaning/solvent residues! :yes:

When starting out with mine i shot one cleaned one (i do this with pretty much every new gun). In use it got cleaned if it got wet or if it was cold enough outside to form condensation on the metal work comming into house. Other than that i cleaned it routinely before any zero check / practice session. Round count who knows sometimes it was never actually fired others maybee 50-60 rounds. Being a proper copper jacketed bullet it certainly needs cleaning. I never found the bore needed any running in following a clean

:yes::yes::good::good:

Clean it properly and at WORST it takes 1-2 shots to get back 100% zero, and that is nothing to do with lining the barrel, it is simply to clear any cleaning/solvent residues! :yes:

Correct. Mine likes a clean every 100 rounds. Cleaned till the patches come out perfect and it shoots bang on straight away with no change of zero.

Cleaning intervals seem to vary gun to gun with this calibre. Find out what yours likes, keep a tally of rounds fired and clean it just before its due and it'll never miss a beat.

Clean it after EVERY outing, especially stripping and washing the mod, then oiling it too, as the 17HMR is a very very dirty round (Reminds me of some Chechz and Russian ammo I used to fire ) :good:

A quick pull through with the snake and some oil, and a thorough strip and clean about once a month.

Edited by Redditch

W :hmm: ish mine only took 1 or 2 to zero again after a clean!

This is one I did for a pal some while ago now, he always used to say he wasted loads of ammo after a "clean", he had never cleaned it properly, scrub between every patch, and yes, it took some time, now it shoots! :yes::yes::good:

Don't forget the crown and action as well whilst cleaning!

:good::good:

post-20848-0-90699600-1331540984.jpg

top right to left, then bottom left to right. :good:

In the 3 years iv had mine ive never cleaned it ! If its not broke why fix it ? many people dont with a .22lr either !

I have cleaned the DM80 once though as it was cake`d in crud, but wire brshed off and lubed the orings. :good:

But as I say the barrel is untouched and i dont want to ruin a good thing the accuracey is clover leaves at 100 yards and better than me ! I have been tempted but would be very upset if i lost my accuracy ! :good:

In the 3 years iv had mine ive never cleaned it ! If its not broke why fix it ? many people dont with a .22lr either !

I have cleaned the DM80 once though as it was cake`d in crud, but wire brshed off and lubed the orings. :good:

But as I say the barrel is untouched and i dont want to ruin a good thing the accuracey is clover leaves at 100 yards and better than me ! I have been tempted but would be very upset if i lost my accuracy ! :good:

This is an interesting one and I can't really comment on NOT cleaning as I always do clean, mine work, ALL of my rifles work after a clean, but if yours works without a clean then fine.

It seems the options may be don't clean, (not convinced that is really the way forward), but if you do clean DO IT PROPERLY!

:good::good:

HI ALL...thankyou very much for all your comments"great advice and i shall be cleaning mine.my only concern is the mod i choose is non take down so cant be stripped..its a lei moderator..have been told that a few bang on a hard surface will get rid of all built up deposits inside? :good: