cracked window screen

darren m

cracked window screen advice

can a crack in a window screen be stopped from spreading???

got a small crack ( not a chip ) in lower part of screen , went over a very bumpy private road the other day and noticed from then that its started to grow a little every day.

is there anyway to stop if from spreading

thanks all

You can stop drill and resin fill them if your feeling brave, this is not a permanent fix but if succesfull it should stop it going a little further and give you a few weeks grace (used to do this as a job) problem being it is risky and i would only ever do it if the customer was fully aware of the situation and potential further splitting :good: depends on the crack size and direction to. i remember a woman who a colleage did the same and a year or so later it was still going strong.

Edited by mpk

Slighty OT

I had a Merc CLK convertable a few years ago. Company car which I had from new and never crashed. Whenever I went around sharp right handers at pace the windscreen used to crack. I must have gone through 10 in about three years. Mercedes said there was nothing wrong with the car. I wasn't convinced as it only used to wear out thee tyres. Both rears and nearside front. The offside front never wore at all. I became convinced that the car was twisted and was only running on three wheels and when I went around a right hander the combination of the twisted car plus the flex of turning was too much for the windscreen to take. Very strange

If you're fully comp insured then it's free to glue small cracks or about £90 for a new windscreen which does affect your policy.

Even if you are not I think the glueing is fairly cheap to do, call Gavin at Autoglass or sometimes have them in supermarket car parks.