birds over the right shoulder

digger

this is probably in the wrong place but here goes.for the life of me i cant hit birds that shape to come into the decoys then come up and cross from dead center to my right,i always end up pulling the shot i.e. watching the bird,pulling the trigger then skewing the barrels off.

if i could hit them i would have shot over a 100 last time i was out.

any help gratefully received :good:

digger,

Why not try a bit of skeet practice...??

You'll get plenty of crossers to the right on a skeet layout.

Perhaps you're hanging on the bird for too long..??, why not try a move, mount, shoot style..??

Almost sounds like a touch of the dreaded flinch you've got there, could be too heavy loads, too light a gun, too much alcohol the night before..??

Good luck,

Cat

i am going to assume your right handed, a lot of shots for a righty will be missed when you shoot a Left to Right bird, subconsiouly push the gun into the target, this in turn removes the stock from the face which in turn means a lost bird, it can be so gradual you dont even notice.

make a mental note to look for that, im not saying its only that but this is a common problem, the reverse for a lefty R to L the gun can leave the face, its not possible the other way your face is in the way right.

as Cat said a little skeet may proove to iron out the kinks, you say you skew offthe barrels , not too sure of that phrase ?? another thing to look for is rolling your shoulders to realign the target, your head and shoulders roll over and take the muzzles with them, always try and keep the barrels perpendicular to the target, the extreme is turning an O/U into a SxS .

a couple of things to look for.

Martin

I always tend to give these birds a bit more lead and its seems to work.

Whether I am unconciously correcting some poor gun mounting, or not, I don't know.

A friend of mine use to "twist" his barrels at these birds, so that his O/U looked like a S/S and vice versa.

Took a few sessions with a Clay Shooting Instructor to iron that one out.