Best way to reproof a coat

Now that the weather has got wet again, I realise that my wax jacket has lost its waterproof protection. I looked in countrywide and on the net and the two most common reproofing items seem to be the Barbour Wax tin or NIKWAX wax cotton proof spray. Both are priced the same but very different in what they are.

As I have not used either, which do you use and would recommend?

The Barbour dressing wax will allow you to re-wax your coat. The Nikwax stuff is a DWR treatment.

Personally I use Nikwax on my membrane and Paramo gear but, when it's time to renew the finish on my old wax jacket, I go with the Barbour wax (despite the faff involved).

The Barbour wax is thick, heavy and difficult to apply evenly. Warm it up and spread it on very thin, use a hairdryer to get it into the cotton, otherwise your coat will go as stiff as a board in the first cold shower. It smells too.

Nikwax has a very good reputation for waterproofing old style waxed cotton motorcycle clothing, I haven't used it myself.

The Barbour dressing wax will allow you to re-wax your coat. The Nikwax stuff is a DWR treatment.

Personally I use Nikwax on my membrane and Paramo gear but, when it's time to renew the finish on my old wax jacket, I go with the Barbour wax (despite the faff involved).

Yes this was what was putting me off slightly. The spray seemed much easier and cleaner to use but I didn't get the feeling from reading the label that it would be as good as the wax.

just read the topic ,,would just like to give ya all a tip on what i found out from a very good sorce,,i wanted to re waterproof my boots ,deerhunter camo,s made from canvas,,one of the guy,s i used to climb with told me to use this stuff,,it is second to none and you will get many a re coat and its £16 from most builders but will totally waterproof canvas and cotton,,so i tried it on my boots and i am amazed at just how good it has waterproofed them,,only problem is once you have treated whatever you must let it dry naturally ,i left my boots for 3 days in the bedroom once it dried there is no smell whatsoever,,it really is brill,,i have since done my tents and many other things and i,ve still got over half a gallon left,,trust me it really does work,,if you dont beleive me then just read the back of the tin,,,cheers all and good luck,,oh it does not affect the suppleness of whatever you treat either :good: :good:

its called cementone water seal hope this helps evo

What does the cementone look like when it has dried? If I'm looking at the right on it says that it has rubber in it.

it dries clear it has made no difference to my tent or my boots ,,it just soaked into them i then left them to dry and you would not know they had even been touched they looked no different :good: it is in a white 5ltr tin tried to put a picture on here but couldn,t

Edited by evo

go to Tim's and buy the tin of wax. hair drier and clothes.

warm the wax and dab a bat of cloth in. rub in small circles until you have covered one arm then hit it with hairdryer. the wax will bead and get drawn into worn areas, you will see the differance on good areas compared with bad. any area that has to much wax will show so while warm you can buff off with the wax cloth.

that your time and t will be worth it. once the whole coat had been done, put it on a hanger. you will not really be wearing it till next season so you can use the summer sun to get the wax to really work in.

i cheat and put in conservatory but a green house would still do the job. it takes me about and hour to a pair of long leggings.

go to Tim's and buy the tin of wax. hair drier and clothes.

warm the wax and dab a bat of cloth in. rub in small circles until you have covered one arm then hit it with hairdryer. the wax will bead and get drawn into worn areas, you will see the differance on good areas compared with bad. any area that has to much wax will show so while warm you can buff off with the wax cloth.

that your time and t will be worth it. once the whole coat had been done, put it on a hanger. you will not really be wearing it till next season so you can use the summer sun to get the wax to really work in.

i cheat and put in conservatory but a green house would still do the job. it takes me about and hour to a pair of long leggings.

Yes I think this is what I have decided to do. Need to do the coat and chaps ready for next beating season; I guess a tin will just about do them both?

one tin, its about the size of a boot polish tin, has done my leggings with very little gone out of the tin. i did warm the tin first and then sat in a rather hot conservatory for an hour in just shorts. it was that hot that the wax in the tin was like water. went on very easy. its the buffing off of the excess that was the work.

Whilst we've got the attention of the experts, can anyone advise me on how to reverse the process?

I bought a Barbour recently which someone had -for reasons best known to themselves - bought new and then waxed very badly. It's very waterproof, but as stiff as a board. I only paid £20 for it, so its not a crisis, but I would like to get it sorted.