Road Kill

Sticky96

Hi all,

Just wondering if you guys ever pick up suitable road kill venison or the odd pheasant if it is not maggot infested, mangled beyond belief and relatively recent?

Thought I would ask considering I picked up a pheasant that had been hit just opposite my house the other day, turns out it was still alive so it had to be dispatched.

Cheers,

One of the guy's at work is a regular consumer of road kill game.

He made a road kill game pie, venison, pheasant and rabbit. Soaked the rabbit in his home made cider. I did advise him to include some pork and red current jelly just to keep it moist, but he forgot.

It was a little too gamey for my taste and a little dry, but it all got eaten never the less.

He usually has a 24 hour rule on pheasants and tries to get to the deer asap.

Personally Its not for me.

Not for me. Although I have brought home 1 road-kill pheasant that ran into the car in front of me on a slow country lane, I saw it hesitate and then run headfirst into the bumper! It was a glancing blow to the head which broke it's beak/neck so I stopped and wrung it's neck for good measure, and as there was no body damage I took it home.

I don't fancy anything that's had a good wallop though as the innards could be split and the meat could be tainted.

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to make new post but t6hi is what i was after

on Sat morning i found fresh road kill roe deer.(still luke warm to tuch)

and it was in good nick so i offer her a lift.

it may sound terible but stakes and rost leg :drool:

i did as good job as posible taking all meat of the bone.

now question is is it moraly ok to do so

i dont like waste. :exclamation:

I was going to make new post but t6hi is what i was after

on Sat morning i found fresh road kill roe deer.(still luke warm to tuch)

and it was in good nick so i offer her a lift.

it may sound terible but stakes and rost leg :drool:

i did as good job as posible taking all meat of the bone.

now question is is it moraly ok to do so

i dont like waste. :exclamation:

I don't think you were morally wrong at all, like you said it's a shame to waste, I just wish I had the balls to do it :good:

Nothing wrong with road kill, just use common sense, with rabbits if it's not squashed and the magpies haven't taken the eyes it will be fresh, picked loads of pheasants up that have come of the car in fronts windscreen

I think that if anything is morally wrong it would be leaving something to waste.

If it's very fresh (i.e you were there when it got hit) then unless it's damaged in such a way as to make it unsuitable for humans it should be on the table. If it's damaged or not fresh then it's free dog food.

I really don't see what difference it makes whether something is killed by a bullet or bumper, it should be used where possible.

Isnt it illegal to pick something up that 'You've' run over....Although you can pick road kill up thats already been hit...

I understand it applies to game, I don't know if it includes stuff such as rabbits or not.

You can't pick up something you've hit, but the person behind you can (or I think anybody in a different vehicle). The idea will be so that people don't take game by deliberately running it down.

I understand it applies to game, I don't know if it includes stuff such as rabbits or not.

You can't pick up something you've hit, but the person behind you can (or I think anybody in a different vehicle). The idea will be so that people don't take game by deliberately running it down.

Bingo.. :good: :good: :good:

just make sure no one is around or damage on your car for a deer

Edited by leeds chimp

• 1 month later...

it applies to anything .. if u do run over something and take it … it is classed as poaching :blush: though the car behind u can stop and pick whatever up .. one of the olde english laws that as never been changed but i suppose it is to stop anyone running anything over intentionally .. google it some live off road kill even eating things like badger and fox :sick: