just got my HW35 back but its not grouping

spiderlegs

so iv just got my old tired HW35K back from the shop. its had a full service, new scope, a moderater and an OX spring fitted as the standard was knackerd. thought id give it a quick try in the garden before i go plinking at bisley on sunday. the gun now hits like frank bruno but i carnt get it to group at all. tried at 20yards and 30 and got a dead centre bull at 30 but the other 11 or 12 shots are all over the place. what should i try? the gun smith said hed zerod the scope so ill phone him tommorow and ask with what pellets and range ect. could it be the moderator? i dont really want to take it off because without it its loud! iv only had a quick go so will try again tommorow just stuck for ideas of what to try?

After a complete service/stripdown the gun is going to need several hundred rounds thru it before it settles down-from memory the early 35's use a leather piston washer so it could take even longer.If it were mine I would have stuck with the weirauch replacement spring.Next time you shoot the gun watch the muzzle for tell-tale signs of smoke to confirm that the gun is still burning off any excess oil.

Why use the abomination known as Ox? These things have been noted for their poor power delivery and turning good guns into heaps of steaming cack!

are they really that bad? i would have preffered a v-mach but OX was all he stocked and its the only shop within 20miles. it hits hard its right on the legal limit but its so loud

After a complete service/stripdown the gun is going to need several hundred rounds thru it before it settles down-from memory the early 35's use a leather piston washer so it could take even longer.If it were mine I would have stuck with the weirauch replacement spring.Next time you shoot the gun watch the muzzle for tell-tale signs of smoke to confirm that the gun is still burning off any excess oil.

when did they change over the washers? think the rifle is around 5years old. yea the guns still burning alot of oil maybe ill just fire off a hundred quickly then worry about trying to get it to group after. iv just been reading up on the OX spring seems like marmite people either love them or hate them.

I can believe it. But I'm only 24 and bought it new so don't think its that old. Iv put a few hundred through it today and still no luck. I can get some tight groups at 10yards but at 30 the groups over 2feet across! I'd be better off throwing it at the Target. Is it likely to be the moderator offsetting the pellet?

It could be the moderator. If its slightly of line it might just be catching the end. Remove the moderator and look at the end and see if it is silver on one edge on the inside. Best thing to check is how it groups without moderator attached.

thanks for all the helpfull replies. turns out i was being a bit thick, the scope mounds were tight but the clamps holding the scope to the mounds werent. so the scope kept shifiting gradually after each shot before i noticed. the rifles shooting pretty good groups now.

starting to see what people mean about the OX spring its got a real kick to it, that carnt be good for the rifle. in hindsight i wish id just saved the money i spent buying it originally and servicing it and got a 2nd hand pcp. ah well live and learn.