243 Choice Time

paul041075

So apart from votes for the Tikka...

... anyone experience on the A BOLT or HOWA??

i own an a-bolt and my mate has just bought a howa. i love my a-bolt, very accurate, the only gripe i have with the a-bolt is the magazine which is attached to a floor plate, its a bit fiddly if you are not used to it but i suppose the risk of loosing a magazine is nil. i was very impressed with my mates howa. for the money i thought it was a very accurate gun, ok not as nicely finished as say a tikka or a sako but a nice rifle none the less, i am tempted to go for a howa when i buy my 6.5x55.

So apart from votes for the Tikka...

... anyone experience on the A BOLT or HOWA??

I have Howa, Tikka and Remington.

If I was to buy another rifle it would be a Howa or a Tikka. I think I've had my Howa about 7 years or so, good solid well machined action to, tight tollerences. It shoots equally as well as the Tikka. A fine rifle. No wonder they are used as a basis for custon jobs.

Mine has a laminated stock which is great, I can't comment on the Hogue ones.

I've had two Browning A bolt synthetic stalkers, both in .243,couldn't fault them,both very accurate with 100g bullets straight out of the box and the mag can be released from the floorplate by opening the floorplate and pulling the mag top towards you,makes life a lot easier, or it can be left clipped to the floorplate and loaded or topped up from the top,best of both worlds which is a lot better than the crappy plastic mags of the T3 which must be removed to be loaded and the saftey catch is in the best place IMO on the tang just like a shotgun :good:

Jase.

Edited by jason kaye

Just bought a Howa in 308 and apart from the rather flimsy Hogue stock it is as solid as any other Howa I have owned in the past.

Had to re-bed the action though because the bedding on that plastic stock is a bit iffy, but a bit of grinding with a Dremel, and filling with devcon worked very well and it certainly shoots as well as my T3.

You can send off for a new laminated stock from The States (Boyds do them for @ £97 including postage) so you can upgrade them and still be less expensive than a Tikka. :good:

G.M.