What camo suit?

Frenchieboy

Up until now I have been using ex-army camo smock and trousers, which I have to say that I have been quite happy with. However, they are starting to get a bit thin and tight - I'm sure that it is a case of they have shrunk rather than me getting fat! lol

All joking aside, the time has come to replace them. What I am looking for is something like a 2 piece camo suit (Ideally with a hood as an added "luxury for when it rains" but that is not a real "must have" I could live without it) that I can wear while stalking/culling and general shooting (Pigeon and crow decoying and bunny bashing) I do not want anything that is noisy or "crackles" when I move and I would prefer it to be at least shower proof if not fully water proof.

My budget would be about £70-80(ish), so what would you guys suggest and why would you opt for that particular choice rather than any other please?

I use cheap NBC camo suits DPM 95, they work well, are cheap, so if you rip it on a barbed wire fence you have not wrecked £100 worth of jacket or trousers! I have removed the liner from one set for warm summer days, one set has the liner left in. They are shower proof (allegedly) have a balaclava hood and blend into most field/woodland backgrounds!

Leaves you plenty for face veils and gloves!

Edited by secretagentmole

Hi Pete, not sure if they are available there but a ghillie suit is the rage here for field shooting. A friend from Montana says he can sit down in the open and look like a piece of brush or get into a fencerow for more "break-up". They are available in a variety of patterns.

One precaution-check to see where it comes from. I ordered one online in snow camo and it looked great----until I put it on. It had so much fire retardant on it(mostly strings) that I about gagged. I sent it back, seems it was made in China where they drown everything in chemicals Bromide is what is used and they are a known carcinogen, and cause much damage to the immune system.

Edited by coyotemaster

that's a matter of opinion ! I've 2 Deerhunter camo jackets that soak me from both side in wet & dry conditions hence buyin 2 Rivers West jackets that if worn with the correct under-amour will keep you warm and dry with the minimal amount of layers ! Harkila is good stuff but unless it's Gortex will still let rain in (I have one) Rivers West has under arm zips to help regulate your body heat.

Up until now I have been using ex-army camo smock and trousers, which I have to say that I have been quite happy with. However, they are starting to get a bit thin and tight - I'm sure that it is a case of they have shrunk rather than me getting fat! lol

All joking aside, the time has come to replace them. What I am looking for is something like a 2 piece camo suit (Ideally with a hood as an added "luxury for when it rains" but that is not a real "must have" I could live without it) that I can wear while stalking/culling and general shooting (Pigeon and crow decoying and bunny bashing) I do not want anything that is noisy or "crackles" when I move and I would prefer it to be at least shower proof if not fully water proof.

My budget would be about £70-80(ish), so what would you guys suggest and why would you opt for that particular choice rather than any other please?

Id just go to a surplus store and get some 95 issue combats. They are cheap, although not waterproof, they dry out quick enough, or get some issued gortex jacket and trousers to wear over the top, at least you can add or remove layers to suit.

that's a matter of opinion ! I've 2 Deerhunter camo jackets that soak me from both side in wet & dry conditions hence buyin 2 Rivers West jackets that if worn with the correct under-amour will keep you warm and dry with the minimal amount of layers ! Harkila is good stuff but unless it's Gortex will still let rain in (I have one) Rivers West has under arm zips to help regulate your body heat.

Certainly is a matter of opinion.

My dearhunter jacket has zips under the arms, its also about 4 years old and has never been re treated.

I wear it out on the marsh wildfowling, pigeon shooting, dog walking etc, It has never let a drop of rain in, ever!

A few blokes I shoot with have rivers west jackets, their opinion of them was, save your money and wear a bin bag under your coat.

So I never brought one.

Some others in our club have harkila stuff and cant say a bad word about it, I dont think Iv ever read a bad review either.

Edited by chrispti

i have the prologic bib and braces and the jacket with the fleece liner (which can be worn on its own) and find very breathable and warm, only used the fleece liner a couple of times when it was really cold and it was great. i will be getting the same again if anything happens to mine. its probably a bit over your budget but keep an eye on the bay, its where mine came from. :good:

I've got the jackpyke English oak hunters suit and think it's great and cost less than £100 for the set, I've just recently got a rivers west field pro smock too, I can see where people are coming from about it getting sweaty if your walking loads but I got laid up last Sunday morning in a paddock on the frosty floor and was dry and toasty i think it's more of an autumn/winter top rather than a summer top which is what I had intended it being.

Jackpyke also do there suits in woodland camo now which has a lot more green on and looks great, I've also got the jackpyke hunters gilet in English oak another top piece of kit if I don't want to take a jacket but there is a risk of a shower I normally opt for this as its got all the benefits of he hunter jacket but been a gilet is cooler on a hot day. There on the bay for £19.99 at the minute I'd nikwax some Dpm trousers to make them shower proof for hot days.

I have the Jack Pyke English Oak Hunters Suit for Autumn/Winter shooting,warm and waterproof. For the summertime I have the Jack Pyke LLCS suit in English Woodland for Spring Summetime stalking etc.

Both great products and i love the patterns, blend in fantastically

Thanks guys for all of the advice and opinions. :good: You have certainly given me plenty to think about!

My biggest concern is about wearing it in the winter to keep me warm and comfortable while out lamping or stalking, and of course it must keep me dry!

If you want to go down the CS95 NBC suit route, I have 2 brand new in the bags that you can have for the cost of postage. They are just gathering dust at the moment and the missus wants rid!!!

Atb Graham.

Graham, that is a very generous offer. They might not be waterproof but could well prove useful throught the summer (If we get one)

If you would like to PM me with the costs and how you would like payment I will happily have them off you and send you my postal details.

Thanks a million.

Pete