Mushroom / Foraging ID iPhone app

Thunderbird

Is there anything in particular you are interested in? I have been known to pick and consume a weed or two. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

I'll tell you what it is Nick, I was wondering if there was an app containing all the wild stuff that's edible, so when I'm on walks or generally bimbling about the woods I could look stuff up and pick it. I know I could get a book (in fact I have a book) but the iPhone is the one thing I always have on me at all times. I also have my memory so i could try and remember what's in the book but that'll never happen.

Start off by learning 5/6 of the easily identifiable mushrooms and a few plants then get used to finding them then try to learn a couple of others. I started off pretty much the same as what you are trying to do and wasted hours looking at pictures on phone or book while i was supposed to be walking instead of learning the basics by heart and knowing what to expect find where.

For example if you start off early in the year looking for:

St George's mushrooms

Horse mushrooms

Fairy rings

Puff balls

And morels (these are like rocking horse poo though)

And for the plants

Jack by the hedge

Hairy bittercress

Wood sorrel

Watercress

Elderflower

Ransoms

( before anybody starts I know a couple of these have already finnished it's just an example)

And then as it gets later in the year learn a few nuts and berries and a few of the roots. This is also the time to start on the woodland mushrooms like the boletus. Chanterelle and that sort of thing.

Nick

Start off by learning 5/6 of the easily identifiable mushrooms and a few plants then get used to finding them then try to learn a couple of others. I started off pretty much the same as what you are trying to do and wasted hours looking at pictures on phone or book while i was supposed to be walking instead of learning the basics by heart and knowing what to expect find where.

For example if you start off early in the year looking for:

St George's mushrooms

Horse mushrooms

Fairy rings

Puff balls

And morels (these are like rocking horse poo though)

And for the plants

Jack by the hedge

Hairy bittercress

Wood sorrel

Watercress

Elderflower

Ransoms

( before anybody starts I know a couple of these have already finnished it's just an example)

And then as it gets later in the year learn a few nuts and berries and a few of the roots. This is also the time to start on the woodland mushrooms like the boletus. Chanterelle and that sort of thing.

Nick

Good stuff here from Nick.

I would add that there is different information in different books on mushrooms and sometimes you need to consult a few books (I like using books not apps). Spore prints take time so no phone app is helpful here.

I have taken the policy of only about 12 mushrooms are really good here in the UK so learn what they are and VERY importantly learn what they might get confused with and the deadly confusions.

I have a bit of an issue with with field mushrooms for beginners who, when trouble hits, have ended up not realising about "destroying angels" can grow in similar habitats and one has been put in the basket.... next stop hospital!

full size puff balls are idiot proof and therefore a good starter but giant parasols are easy, idiot proof and VERY VERY tasty

Boletes are a good family to learn early as well.

Antonio Carluccio taught me this way (his books are also very good)

I have a bit of an issue with with field mushrooms for beginners who, when trouble hits, have ended up not realising about "destroying angels" can grow in similar habitats and one has been put in the basket....

When I started I always got field mushrooms mixed up with yellow stainers. Good job I can get bog roll in bulk

Not sure if you can get them on the kindle but the river cottage hand books are superb. I have the seashore, hedgerow and mushroom ones. They are the best foraging books you can buy without exception (I think I own every foraging book that's still in print and a few that aren't )

Nick

I've just got the Collins Gem "Food For Free" book for £2.99 on Kindle from Amazon (I use the free Kindle app on the iPhone). Great pocket field guide.

Duncan, I have that. A great little book that fits well in your pocket. A bit bulky to carry but I also have the River Cottage Handbook No.7 "Hedgerow" which is superb. Apart form the bit where it tells you about the liver eating parasite you can catch from wild watercress! :o

Apart form the bit where it tells you about the liver eating parasite you can catch from wild watercress! :o

:sick:

The Collins Gem one I actually have in my iPhone on the Kindle app so it will literally be with me where 'ere I go. Looking forward to when I get get out again and bend over...steady....steady...... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all, I'm becoming more interested in foraging generally and as a serious amateur cook adore Antonio Carluccios recipes.

The mrs was checking around the stock yesterday and sent me a photo, any ideas what they are chaps?

I have no knowledge of wild mushrooms and funghi so have no intention of picking things I don't know anything about!

9e5be040.jpg

Not sure if you can get them on the kindle but the river cottage hand books are superb. I have the seashore, hedgerow and mushroom ones. They are the best foraging books you can buy without exception (I think I own every foraging book that's still in print and a few that aren't )

Nick

I've just bought all three on your recommendation. I've only flicked through, but they look good.

• 2 months later...