Ethical Question

Sha Bu Le

I've had an injured blackbird come into the garden over the last two days, he has an injured leg and his tail feathers are hanging by a thread. There is enough stuff on the bird feeders to keep him going, crows mags and seagull permitting.

RSPB will not attend for a common or garden bird so as far as they are concerned it gets better or it does not.

I will keep an eye out and if it shows improvement then fine but if not??? cant catch it to take it to the PDSA.

So the question is if it shows no improvement or a deterioration do I do the humane thing or not.

What would you lot do given that blackbirds are a no no, does the general license make exceptions for acts of "kindness"

Maybe one for the mod's

ATB

Bri

Edited by Sha Bu Le

I'm sure that legally you're fine to shoot it, it's humane destruction. I would not worry about it.

It does sound to be in a bad way, you have to decide whether you think it will recover from it's injury or not, but if you believe it to be permanently injured then you should do the right thing.

I'm sure that legally you're fine to shoot it, it's humane destruction. I would not worry about it.

It does sound to be in a bad way, you have to decide whether you think it will recover from it's injury or not, but if you believe it to be permanently injured then you should do the right thing.

Many thanks fellas, will watch it for another 2/3 days then decide. Strange is it not there is not one of us would think twice about popping a pigeon crow etc yet one hurt little bird gets us all concerned. WOnder if the anti's respond the same ???

ATB

Bri

It's odd isn't it? I wouldn't think twice about swerving in my car to hit a myxie rabbit, but somehow this is different! why is it different? i don't know! I know that songbirds are protected and rabbits are pests, but in when i run over myxies i don't think aha that's a pest let's get it, it's about the suffering of the animal! Strange, but i'm still reticent to say shoot it and stop the suffering!

I've had an injured blackbird come into the garden over the last two days, he has an injured leg and his tail feathers are hanging by a thread. There is enough stuff on the bird feeders to keep him going, crows mags and seagull permitting.

What would you lot do given that blackbirds are a no no, does the general license make exceptions for acts of "kindness"

ATB

Bri

Hi

it is nothing to do with the General Licences, which allow taking birds for crop protection, preventing spread of disease etc.

However, the main Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, appears to address your problem:

Section 4), paragraph 2)

(2)Notwithstanding anything in the provisions of section 1 or any order made under section 3, a person shall not be guilty of an offence by reason of— .

(a )the taking of any wild bird if he shows that the bird had been disabled otherwise than by his unlawful act and was taken solely for the purpose of tending it and releasing it when no longer disabled;

(b )the killing of any wild bird if he shows that the bird had been so seriously disabled otherwise than by his unlawful act that there was no reasonable chance of its recovering; or

(c )any act made unlawful by those provisions if he shows that the act was the incidental result of a lawful operation and could not reasonably have been avoided.

might be best to take some advice first, but this seems to be the clause you are looking for :good:

Edit to add: it isn't clear from your description whether the bird is badly injured enough to justify this action, but if it was - this is the justification you are looking for.

Edited by HW682

Black birdy seems to be a bit better this p.m. it's sitting on the fence in what appears to be reasonable comfort.

As long as it comes into my garden it has food and water and protection from the predators. Will keep y'all updated as the days go on.

ATB

Bri

:angry:

Rak a frak a frish a fray .......ref Yosemite Sam & Bugs Bunny, which is somewhere I think your coming from. :hmm:

Chris J

Know what you mean however I suspect blackbirdy will fall to the local topcat (black tom)

Can't do anything about that :hmm:

No sign of poorly black bird today..wifey has been keeping a lookout while I was at work.

Suspect topcat (who looks more like Sylvester) has had it.

Dilemma solved.

Thanks for the replies and advice, will know what to do if it happens again.

ATB

Bri

Hi

it is nothing to do with the General Licences, which allow taking birds for crop protection, preventing spread of disease etc.

However, the main Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, appears to address your problem:

Section 4), paragraph 2)

might be best to take some advice first, but this seems to be the clause you are looking for :good:

Edit to add: it isn't clear from your description whether the bird is badly injured enough to justify this action, but if it was - this is the justification you are looking for.

HW

A very useful and qualified post.

Many thanks

Bri

No sign of poorly BB today so its either recovered well enough to move on or the local topcat has had it. Would not be the grey cat it's useless. The song birds hop around him when he's out. Poor excuse for a moggie.

I think the topic is now finished; unless anyone want to add something.

Nothing useful to add really apart from I wouldn't think twice about putting a bullet into animal that was injured beyond natural repair or one that was really in pain.

There are loads of laws regarding the killing of wildlife and livestock but the minute they are in a bad way I'm pretty sure that no matter what it is a humane end is acceptable. :good:

Without reading any other posts I'd say let nature take it's course.

Edit: After reading the thread, unless you're (not you personally) a vet, how can you decide if a bird is so injured it can't recover what a load of $hite. I've walked with a limp before and I wasn't ready to be put down lol, I was right as rain a few days later.

Edited by Muddy Funker