good weekend with 12b and .410

bicykillgaz

hi,

ive been making my self some dead bird spikes for when i go decoying, finally got them sorted on friday at work so decided i would go out on the crows saturday morning.

set off at 9am and had a really good 5 hours, i shot 20 in all but lost 5 in nettles so theres 12 crows and 3 jackdaws in the first picture.

to start with i really struggled to hit any as they was coming over so high and ignoring my 5 pigeon shells that ive sprayed black. as soon as i got a couple in with the decoys they started coming in better, if only i was shooting better!

today i went out for the first time with my new anschutz .410 bolt action to see if i could bag some tree rats, didnt see a single squirrel but ended up with 5 crows 2 jackdaws and a young magpie not a bad way to blood it, the fiocchi magnums i got last week kill really well too which is nice.

atb gary

post-18953-0-68879500-1338140876.jpg

post-18953-0-81609900-1338140944.jpg

post-18953-0-99261700-1338140993.jpg

post-18953-0-51084600-1338141055.jpg

heres one of the spikes i made and one of one in action, they work a treat :good: its just 500mm of 4mm bar with a plate tacked on which i use as a footplate to press into the ground then push the crow on the spike through its stomach and push the spike all the way up to the head internally, probably could have got away with 400mm but i can always cut them down.

atb gary

post-18953-0-76037200-1338141527.jpg

post-18953-0-09922800-1338141585.jpg

well done mate... :good:

good shooting :good:

Cheers guys, I actually shot better with the .410 which I found a pleasant surprise, With the 12b I got 20 birds for 75 cartridges but with the .410 I got 8 for 12 carts, I guess not having the option of a follow up shot makes you pick your shots a little more carefully. I might look at getting rid of the hatsan and get a yildiz o/u .410 instead, I forgot how much fun they are to shoot and still an effective tool.

Fantastic shooting with the .410!! Very well done.

Thanks Timothy i surprised myself to be honest as I've not used a .410 for about 2 years, I'm thinking of getting rid of my semi and getting an o/u .410 now. I suffer with my neck and a day shooting the 12g and I know about it, I only really got another .410 for a bit of fun but it can certainly earn its keep and was pleasant to shoot.

Nice 5 hours shooting there bud.

Cheers mate

Nice bit of crow bashing there! Keep on whacking 'em :good:

Cheers, I intend on doing

mate i love the 4.10 i have the exact same one i know what you mean about the cartridges

It's a shame it sort of spoils what would otherwise be a perfect little gun, surprising for such a well known company to make something a bit un-user friendly. I just pull the bolt back squeeze the trigger to release the bolt an extra couple of centimetres and then put my finger in front of the cartridge to lift it up and out. It's not that big an issue but still one they could have improved on.And its definitely easier to load 3" than it is to load 2.5" into it, they should have designed it like the webley and Scott ones.

What do you feed yours on?

Gary