fox whats legal

Perfectly legal I shoot good numbers of fox with my shottie, best combo I have found in mine is 42grms no.1 firstly through top barrel qtr choke followed by a swift bottom barrel same cart half choke.

Tried no.4's through to bbs and found the 1s work best for me, some places its simply not practical or legal to use the rifle.

Proof is in the pudding so to speak

Karpman

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

Edited by karpman

Hi, what range are those carts good to? I've got a looser choke then you at about 3/8th

Hey mate missed ya post, I take em out to about 40yrds but like em as close as possible. Them two were took at around 25 if memory serves me correct.

Always ready to follow up too.

Karpman

As the grass is quite high, i took the shotgun out at the weekend with the hope of bumping into a fox around the gorse. 63 gram of no 1 winchester cartridges were in the barrel.

As it happened I saw 2 foxes. the first was around 70 yards away and the 2nd was sitting on a bank at about 150 yards. Neither showed any interest in a small mouse squeek.

I went home, picked up the rifle and went back down. Needless to say i never saw them again !

Edited by GatGun

under 30 yards pretty much most game cartridges will kill foxes, I've shot most with 6's simply as they were what was in the gun at the time. You don't want to go too large in shot size or you loose pattern density and if the range is sensible that kills fine. We have the occasional fox drive each year plus what you find walking about, had a decent sized dog fox on the drive this year and just by standing still it trotted right up to me. At 10 yards its game over, had a cub while walking about and the dog had another which is useful at a time of year when on our ground its hard to see them to rifle shoot.

Perfectly legal,like Alex most that I have shot have been taken with game loads when not out specifically for fox but I keep range to @30yards max.With bigger shot/magnum type shells can push range to 40 yards.Beyond that need a rifle for the job.