Internet Connection Problems

PhilR

We've got an internet account with Orange. Over the past six weeks or so we've been suffering intermittent internet connection. The Orange helpdesk in India convinced us our Netgear router purchased in 2008 was at fault so I bought a new one and that was marginally better.

However, when we came back from a week in France last Wednesday internet access was virtually non existent. SWMBO spent the best part of three hours talking to the Indian 'helpdesk', and I use the term loosely, on Friday to five different individuals and having to go through the same script, checking the router etc only to be told at the end of twenty minutes or so they'd check the line and call back. Needless to say the return calls were not forthcoming, after a rant on her sixth call she was finally upgraded and put through to a person on the UK technical helpdesk. After running through the same script it was determined that the problem lay with their server and, or, BT. A visit by a BT engineer was arranged for Saturday between 8.00 and 1pm and SWMBO waited in for them, luckily I was at the PW Charity Shoot, as he didn't show up and when Orange were challenged they denied making the appointment!

Anyway we had a phonecall from a BT engineer this morning at 8.00am to say he'd be with us in ten minutes, so much for a Bank Holiday lay in :lol:

He undertook various tests on the line into the house and discovered that an automatic cap had been applied at the exchange and this affected the router from connecting. He went on to explain that the exchange monitors router connection and useage and when it drops below a certain default level a cap is applied. He had the cap disconnected and download speed is now around 11meg.

He twigged what was wrong when I said I'd go and reconnect the router in the study, he asked whether the router was powered down at night and I told him SWMBO turned everything off at night, and when the house was empty too barring fridge and freezer. He reckons this is our problem as he'd had plenty of similar cases. Nowhere in our paperwork from Orange or indeed with the two routers we have is it mentioned leaving them permanently switched on. So if you suffer from intermittent internet connection it might be worthwhile checking whether a cap has been applied by BT because of the way your router is powered up/down.

I'm pleased you got it sorted at the end Phil.

It is incredibly frustrating when dealing with unskilled call centres, though to be fair that fault lies with their employers which in your case is Orange. The fact they are in India has no bearing, the same applies with call centres based in the UK, you get what you pay for.

In truth the majority of issues can be dealt with using largely unskilled workforce working from a script, but when there is a technical or uncommon issue then a higher level of expertise is required. This is why all these companies have first and second level support.

Cos

I had exactly the same situation with Orange. Did the two hour talk to India, no good, got in touch with accounts dept., asked to terminate my agreement. Told I was tied in until October, told them I would see them in Court and I would do time if necessary. "Calm down Sir let's see what we can do." Engineer rang me back talked me through my connection, no fault found. Switch your Modem off Sir and leave it a few minutes and then reconnect. Did that, perfect, been wonderful ever since (6 months) Roll on October and bye bye Orange. But who to go to? They all seem to have problems with a decent service.

In the same position, router is perm left on, lost the internet last week, In the end BT engineer said it was the filters (tried several in the test socket first before calling them) and 3 routers. Strange they have done something in the exchange and capped some thing as router is repoerting connection status a lot lower tham normal.

First month ever I have used any whare near 40 gigs of data use, BT not interested in that none of the routers worked in the test skt and also said the phone lines were wired up wrong, which is strange as on the previous fault they said the lines were ired wrongly and proceeded to rewire them. The filters and router were also set up as the previous BT engineer wanted them. Two engineers and both saying the lines and filters were wrong (fair enough the orig router was on a 10 mtr extention. So reasonably happpy to ditch that just means now every thing has to be wireless connected.

5 mins after BT left the connection went down again, back up again shortly after woods, next round with them after the hols.

Also had probs with them taking over the phone line, as BT and orange billing me, now staying with BT as Orange could not sort it out, stroll on end of the contract and bye bye orange BB.

Whilst BT can be rubbish at least if you've got line and BB with them you only need to contact one company. Same with Sky if you have line rental and BB with them. I've just changed from Sky to BT infinity 2 and it's pretty awesome! They didn't turn caller display on as requested when I put the order in so they're definitely not perfect. But Sky kept turning their voicemail on too when it wasn't wanted (we have a separate answerphone ) so neither are perfect.