What's the best way into rifle ownership and shooting

Want to get into rifle shooting with a view to eventually doing some deer stalking, what's the best way to proceed ?

1. Join a target shooting club , go through gun safety and handling then progress on to obtain FAC obviously it will have condition on it for target practice, then try to find land to shoot and get this approved and condition to shoot on licence.

2. Try to find land from the off without joining target club, or is this then hard to get FAC due to lack of rifle experience?

Any advice would be great fully appreciated .

You could apply for FAC for paid for stalking, receipt for booked stalking will often do it but perhaps best to get some experience first you could do a DSC1 course some providers can do them for none FAC holders using an "estate rifle"

To get a FAC for target shooting you need to be a probationary member at a club, usually for 3-6 months. It's not a quick process, but it does allow you to then get most calibres without difficulty - that's assuming you have a suitable club that you are able to attend on a regular bases. It also lets you get some practice so you can actually hit something too.

If you can find some land (permission) that can be an easier and quicker route, the difficulty can be finding somewhere. As already mentioned a booked stalk can do it.

Depending on how your police force operates, you might get a mentor condition where for a certain period of time (e.g 6 months) you cannot use your rifle unless you are supervised by someone with a FAC. Alternatively some require you to have used a centre-fire rifle of similar calibre to what you apply for before they'll grant a certificate. It might not be a problem getting round these conditions, if you know someone with a centre-fire.

The club route is sometimes better.

You will meet like minded people, gain a vast array of knowledge that perhaps would have taken you years to gain yourself.

Another plus is that you might even be able to gain some shooting permission from one of the club members.

Nothing beats honing your skills on ranges and learning the never-ending skill set of 'shootin.

You will meet like minded people, gain a vast array of knowledge that perhaps would have taken you years to gain yourself.

Another plus is that you might even be able to gain some shooting permission from one of the club members.

Nothing beats honing your skills on ranges and learning the never-ending skill set of 'shootin.

:good::yes:

I would always recommend starting with a club first, unless you have a family member or close friend who knows their stuff and who can take you out on the land to show you the ropes.

I can only go with my experience but when I started I joied a club. I did the whole probationary thing and a chap at the club mentored me too. I had a couple of farmers on side from shotgunning so talked them into letting me shoot a rifle there too. It all progressed from there.

The club makes you look keen to learn and shows that you will have learned basic rifle safety before your FAC is handed out. It's certainly not a bad thing. I have found though that shooting in a club doesn't help much with the removal of land restrictions later on due to the fixed firing point and backstop not really teaching you how to read the area you're shooting.

Pretty much any calibre but HMR can be had on a club basis. They don't allow expanding ammo for targets but when it comes to quarry shooting a change of conditions on the FAC is free. When you get some land they will check it and then add the expanding ammo and quarry listings for you.

Definitely join a club. As has been said abouve, the chances are that someone there will be able to sort some stalking out for you. Happens quite a lot in our club.

J.

I think the one thing to remember is whatever option you choose accept it's a lengthy process.

They don't just hand these things out for obvious reasons.

I've been shooting air weapons over 25 years, had SGC for 5 years and only now am applying for FAC. Luckily I'm signed off on some land.

I'm not saying it should take anyone else this long but just stick at it and youll get there!!