My first fox

Richard.Hosgood

OK, so strictly its a cub, but a welcome end to a quick stroll around my permisson. I went for a walk with the aim of finding suitable locations for decoying corvids, and with the hope of bagging a few rabbits. The rabbits were very on the ball and I never got close enough to one to have a shot, other than one which jumped right out in front of me, and then jumped back into the warren as I closed the gun.

Anyway, found a few likely places for corvids, and started to stroll back to the car, when I spied 2 pair of ears in the grass. Gun closed, creeping towards them, thinking 'rabbits' then a cub jumped and another sat up - I paused, took a breath and the latter took a good shot which bowled it over. I then, for some inexpicable reason, broke the gun! :look: The other cub looked at me, the vixen poked her head out of the longer grass to the side of the field, I closed the gun for 2nd barrel shot but they were off and gone. Nice healthy bitch pup down, I sat quiet for 30 mins to see if any returned but they didnt, so just the one down this evening. Farmer I shoot for isnt bothered by foxes as he is a beef & crop farmer, but the adjoining field to this is of another farmers and full of sheep with lambs, so it had to be done - may even lead to more permission!?

IMG-20120611-00577.jpg