Power Lines

andy_s

I've just picked up a new permission that has a field of peas being hammered by pigeons. I'm planning on shooting it tomorrow but it has overhead power lines running diagonally right through the field. Not the high voltage pylons but the low voltage ones that go to houses. What sort of distance do you guys try to keep from these lines when shooting? I don't want to bring the lines down on my new permission.....Cheers Andy.

I've just picked up a new permission that has a field of peas being hammered by pigeons. I'm planning on shooting it tomorrow but it has overhead power lines running diagonally right through the field. Not the high voltage pylons but the low voltage ones that go to houses. What sort of distance do you guys try to keep from these lines when shooting? I don't want to bring the lines down on my new permission.....Cheers Andy.

I would not worry to much about the power lines, just be aware of them when your shooting.

One of the places I shoot have them and I set up near them as the pigeons some times come into land on them. Just shoot away from them

Edited by Actionpigeons

Still very dangerous, i have one thats too low at home. Dont shoot towards it within 300 yds i recon. Sounds difficult but not too bad if you work out your safe angles previous

300 yards what are you using?

with a shotgun over 40 yards and you will do no damage to electricity lines. Sometimes setting up under them works obviously not shooting directly at them

There are ceramic insulators on some poles. 300yds is safe for sure but i have dropped Geese over the 40 yds you mention with steel duck shells in the past so thats a tad too close for me as regards the cables even.

There are ceramic insulators on some poles. 300yds is safe for sure but i have dropped Geese over the 40 yds you mention with steel duck shells in the past so thats a tad too close for me as regards the cables even.

Realistically you will never damage a power cable from more than that Range and really only a muppet would shoot at the insulators

To be honest, I shot one off the cables on Saturday. It was a good 35/40 yards away. Perched up, looking down at my pattern (I'm sure I heard him laughing and sniggering). I clapped to try and get it up... It just turned its back on me. How rude. So I gave it a 32g 6 and it's stopped laughing at me. The cable didn't even twitch.

Cloudside shooting ground has power cables 60 yards out on the sporting stands some times the clays hit the cables as the wind throws them off coarse . The wooden poles are peppered with shot marks and they are still standing .

I personally out in the field wouldn't shoot straight at them because only you would be at fault . If it happened on a clay ground that would be their problem . Can you imagine the repair bill . Not sure your Basc policy would cover it

Realistically you will never damage a power cable from more than that Range and really only a muppet would shoot at the insulators

Sometimes the eye takes over from the brain when the shotgun is swinging, that why we look at angles of safe fire first isn't it?